Getting an average

• I have this query below:

Select Count (DISTINCT providerlink.PLid) FROM workrequest, providerlink

WHERE providerlink.PLworkrequestID = workrequest.WRid

AND providerlink.PLcurrentStatus IN ('11', '25', '30', '31', '32', '33', '35', '41', '51', '53', '55', '75', '80', '82', '86')

It finds all the work requests(PLid) within a given set of status numbers(PLcurrentStatus).

is there a way to get the percentage of work requests that are within that range of status numbers?

I want to find the percentage of workrequests that are that set of status numbers.

So say there are 10,000 total work requests, and 5000 are in that set of status numbers, then I would want the query to return 50% rather than just the total of 5000.

Thanks!

• DECLARE @WorkRequest TABLE (WRid int)

INSERT INTO @WorkRequest

SELECT 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 2 UNION ALL

SELECT 3 UNION ALL

SELECT 4 UNION ALL

SELECT 5 UNION ALL

SELECT 6 UNION ALL

SELECT 7 UNION ALL

SELECT 8 UNION ALL

SELECT 9 UNION ALL

SELECT 10

DECLARE @ProviderLink TABLE (PLid int IDENTITY(1,1), PLworkrequestID int, PLcurrentStatus varchar(10))

INSERT INTO @ProviderLink

SELECT 1,'11' UNION ALL

SELECT 2,'25'  UNION ALL

SELECT 3,'30' UNION ALL

SELECT 4,'31' UNION ALL

SELECT 5,'32' UNION ALL

SELECT 6,'99' UNION ALL

SELECT 7,'99' UNION ALL

SELECT 8,'99' UNION ALL

SELECT 9,'99' UNION ALL

SELECT 10,'99'

DECLARE @TotalCount decimal(10,2),

@MatchCount decimal(10,2)

SELECT @TotalCount = COUNT(*)

FROM @WorkRequest WR

INNER JOIN @ProviderLink PL

ON WR.WRid = PL.PLworkrequestID

SELECT @MatchCount = COUNT(*)

FROM @WorkRequest WR

WHERE PL.PLcurrentStatus IN ('11', '25', '30', '31', '32', '33', '35', '41', '51', '53', '55', '75', '80', '82', '86')

SELECT CAST((CAST((@MatchCount / @TotalCount) AS decimal(5,2)) * 100) AS varchar) + '%'

John Rowan

======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• wow...that is a lot. Would I put all of this into one query?

• You could put it all into one query like this:

SELECT CAST((CAST((CAST(SUM((CASE WHEN PL.PLcurrentStatus IN ('11', '25', '30', '31', '32', '33', '35', '41', '51', '53', '55', '75', '80', '82', '86') THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)) AS decimal) / COUNT(*) * 100) AS decimal(5,2))) AS varchar) + '%'

FROM @WorkRequest WR

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Why would you need 3 CAST statements?

• I'm not John, but I'm pretty sure he's using the two innermost casts to guarantee you don't get the int division issue, where the results are also an int. For example, SELECT 3/2 returns a 1. The outermost is to turn the results into a varchar so you can add the percent symbol to it.

• David is correct.  You can remove the outer most CAST if you aren't planning on having the % as part of the results.  I was under the assumption that it was needed as your original example included it.

John Rowan

• Following the bouncing Parenthsis...

Cast to decimals to actually get a decimal that is then the outter cast to a varchar for output with the '%" symbol.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• What I don't understand about this query, is how is it getting the total # of workrequests? Because shouldn't it have to get the total, then get the total that are within the status range, and then divide those 2 numbers to get the percentage?

Thanx!

• That's exactly what it is doing.  The total comes from the COUNT(*), the number within the range comes from the CASE statement.  As you can see, the CASE statement results are divided by the COUNT(*) to get the average.  This value is then multiplied by 100 to give you the percentage.  All the CASTing is for division percision and formatting.

John Rowan

• Oh ok...I see that part now...thank you!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply