Getting data into SQL Server

• Additional suggestions:
    (1) Save spreadsheets as csv or text first and then use import wizard: more options for data type conversions in wizard when importing csv or text files, also avoids ACE driver problems.
    (2)  Access forms as a front end with linked tables to SQL Server on network as suggested by others should work fine.  You can also import Excel files easily by using the Access import wizard.
    (3) An alternative front end, which was completely free the last time I downloaded it, is an application called SQL-Data-Edit by tools4sql.net.  It has a simple interface for add/edit/delete and browse.  You might want to download it and test it (http://sql-data-edit.tools4sql.net/). I'm not connected to this organization in any way.

• james.h291183 - Thursday, April 6, 2017 3:24 AM

Thanks, fairly certain I could learn the Access element to this. Any decent resources available?

One additional issue if I am giving users a front end to populate a DB that is on my machine, is this doable or do we need to have the database somewhere else?

So... what happens to the users access to the data when you pick up your laptop and go home?   Is someone working late on a critical project just supposed to stop working?   And when you are on vacation?    Trust me, you do NOT want this on your machine.   Too many dependencies that aren't generally easily afforded.

• Good point.

Okay so something like MS Azure as a cloud based Data Warehouse or an instance of Sql Server on a networked server, instead of my machine.
    Access as a front end or the sql front end tool suggested by gand29575.

• james.h291183 - Thursday, April 6, 2017 7:23 AM

Good point.

Okay so something like MS Azure as a cloud based Data Warehouse or an instance of Sql Server on a networked server, instead of my machine.
    Access as a front end or the sql front end tool suggested by gand29575.

That is definitely the right answer. Like others have said, your Desktop is not the place for your Data hosting service, or any service, they should be on dedicated machines (and that doesn't mean using a laptop as a Domain Controller because it has a battery... -_-).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thanks for all of your help. Much appreciated.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply