Getting @@identity in an sp that hits another server...

• The following insert statement run on server1 returns null for the identity field LOGID.

INSERT INTO [server2].[mydb].dbo.ImportLog([User],FileType,[FileName],ImportedDateTime,SettlementDate,Status)

VALUES

('Automated','excel','test',GetDate(),NULL,'Importing...')

select SCOPE_IDENTITY(), IDENT_CURRENT('ImportedProcessorDataFiles'), @@IDENTITY returns all nulls, but I can get the value if I select max(logid)

Is there a way to do this without using max of the identity field?

• You haven't provided a lot of info about your table and your actual queries (and the table names in your two queries don't match), but if I read your situation properly you are trying to run the "select" also on server1.

Since you are "crossing servers", you are triggering a "hidden session" on server2. The part of your insert that directly affects table ImportLog (or ImportedProcessorDataFiles?) is not really running in your local session or batch on server1, so SCOPE_IDENTITY() and @@IDENTITY can't return any meaningful value.

Try it this way to see the difference when you force everything into one explicit batch:

-----------------

exec [server2].master.dbo.sp_sqlexec

"INSERT INTO [mydb].dbo.ImportLog([User],FileType,[FileName],ImportedDateTime,SettlementDate,Status)

VALUES ('Automated','excel','test',GetDate(),NULL,'Importing...')

select SCOPE_IDENTITY(), IDENT_CURRENT('[mydb].dbo.ImportLog'), @@IDENTITY"

-----------------

In that query I have guessed that ImportLog is the table name containing the logid identity col.

If you don't mind using IDENT_CURRENT() instead of @@IDENTITY, then you can also do:

-----------------

INSERT INTO [mydb].dbo.ImportLog([User],FileType,[FileName],ImportedDateTime,SettlementDate,Status)

VALUES ('Automated','excel','test',GetDate(),NULL,'Importing...')

exec [server2].[master].dbo.sp_sqlexec "select IDENT_CURRENT('[mydb].dbo.ImportLog')"

-----------------

Since IDENT_CURRENT() is not dependent on the particular session or batch/sp, etc, then its value is always accessible, once you reach the right object. 🙂

• Here is a more accurate example:

On SERVER1 I have database DATABASE1 where there is a table IMPORTLOG with an identity field LOGID.

On SERVER2 DATABASE2 I have a view V_DATABASE1_IMPORTLOG defined as SELECT LOGID,OTHERFIELDS FROM [SERVER1].[DATABASE1].dbo.IMPORTLOG.

On SERVER2, DATABASE2 I have code that inserts into the view and tries to retrieve the identity value inserted: 

DECLARE @LOGID int

INSERT V_DATABASE1_IMPORTLOG (OTHERFIELDS) VALUES ('OTHERDATA')

SELECT @LOGID = @@IDENTITY

Since this doesn't work, I was hoping for a way to do this without having a hardcoded reference to SERVER1 and DATABASE1 in the proc, I wanted to limit the references to the views only. 

Thanks for your response.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply