Getting ready for certification

• Hi

I'm thinking about doing the certification exams and I was wondering what I needed in terms of software.

If I was to study at home, with my desktop PC with windows XP, what software would I need - does it come with books or can it be downloaded from somewhere? And what SQL software would I need?

I’m thinking of doing the MCTS certification which involves 2 courses

Implementing a SQL 2005 database

Maintaining a SQL 2005 database

I was wondering, is it better to study from books or to go to these training courses?

Thanks in anticipation for any help.

• You can download a trial version of SQL Server which will run on XP or some of the books come with it on CD.

Personally, I prefer the study guides to the courses as I can do things in my own time and experiment as I go along... but courses are good if you have little experience as you have the tutor to answer any questions you have. I wouldn't do the exams unless you have practical experience in a work environment.

• Thanks Darren.

• Another positive from the classroom environment is that you're exposed to questions other people ask as well.

• I own a training center, but I'm not sure classroom is for everyone. Some people like the live environment, getting a ton of information packed into one week. Others think it's overload.

Think about what you've liked in the past. Did you always attend classes or did you learn more studying at home?

For the TS, the 431 exam, be sure that you work through examples using the tools. the exam presents you with tools and actually has you perform tasks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply