Getting Run-around on well deserved raise

• Is there a Human Resources dept? I so, you should schedule a discussion with a HR rep to discuss some concerns and to ask questions about review policy.

Converting oxygen into carbon dioxide, since 1955.
  • I would take the issue to the person above the CIO or equivalent HR department. Be very explicit and get the request for a review documented (at the very least via email).

If you can't get a review - move on.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I was able to get my review, but my request for increased compensation was debunked quickly, with a BS reason. Apparently increases are on hold until the company devises a financial plan - something I mentally filed under "not my problem". My review average was a 4.56 out of 5, with a single 3 in safety (I cut myself opening a box sometime last year). Further, my boss said he'd like to push me into managing other people, there just isn't anyone right now.

While I do understand that they can't put raises on hold and then give me one, I worked really hard to get a raise, and I intend on getting it. If I have to play a little hard ball, so be it. It looks like it's time to explore other opportunities...

--J

• It doesn’t sound like you’re getting the run-around any more, just news you didn’t want to hear.

The first rule of negotiations is to continue working towards a deal. Even if you can’t reach an acceptable deal with your current employer, it’s still good practice for potential new ones.

"Always be closing."

Keep it positive, but keep doing what you can to make a deal. You can always cut and run later.

• Yes, from my perspective almost any excuse they gave me would have come off as BS. I'm a little bias there. But I also believe i have every right to expect a raise. To have it held because the finance department can't come up with a budget, just... there's nothing I can do about that.

I've told my boss that I'd like to state my case anyways. Regardless of the circumstances, I'd like to have the opportunity to show him why I deserve a raise. Essentially, I want to see if he can still say no in the face of all of that. He probably will, but it'll definitely make it hard.

In the mean time, the simple fact is I need leverage if I want to enact change. So if leverage is what I need, leverage is what I will get...

Thanks all for your help and advice.

--J

• When you negotiate, you have to make sure you're talking to someone who can actually say yes.

If they told you boss that he can't approve raises, then he doesn't have the power to say yes, and you're wasting your time talking to him.

Find a way to talk to the person who can say yes.

• My boss is both the CIO and CFO. He's the one who put the hold on increases.

--J

• HAving been in management more often than I care to think about I would offer the following perspective.

If I where you I would simply define a reasonable timeline and clear cut goals. This is often a very desireable approach and most likely to succeed. Managers are programmed for Goal orieated tasks. This takes some patients but is a very good strategy that will appeal to most managers. After you have defined you goals talk with you manager and be frank but polite. If you are a DBA II now let him know that your goal is to reach DBAIII in the next year. Be clear that you intend to meet this goal and hint at the idea that you are not above a change in jobs to meet your goals. DO NOT put him in a defensive position. Most managers in a defensive position will retreat to the old no one can not be replaced senario. it does not matter how ilogical that may be. Most managers are programmed with the ideology that every employee can be replaced and this is even a benefit to them becuase they will likely hire someone for less than you make now. Even more common today is eliminating a position and rolling your responsibilities into another position. Keep your options open but set realistic goals with a clear timetable for yourself and be honest in that process. I mean no dis-respect in that but also know that many people have often set un-reasonable expectations when I have managed them. One such employee was hired above position level and had a solid expectation of a 75% increase in his salary with in 2 years. While this on the extreme sides it is a perfect example of an unrealistic goal at any company.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• The money for a raise is there. Ay the moment it is going into the directors pockets. If you know what you are worth, fight for it - noone else will.

• My boss is already starting to falter a little. He said he'd speak to the CEO next week to see if something can be floated. I think he's already starting to see that this has a very negative effect on my morale. If I worked this hard and got nothing, what then is my motivation for working so hard? Business is business, sure, but there's a human element too. I think he's forgetten that a little, and is now starting to realize it.

Regardless, even if he is able to "float" something, I have to imagine that he'll come back with a number that is less than what I want. My expectations are not high.

--J

• You've done a good job from the description. I'm not sure what else you can do, other than look to move on.

I've been in a similar situation, although I didn't love the job. However despite the company policy of no raises that year, I point blank told my boss that I felt I was underpaid, and had some salaries from other companies/jobs posted to back this up. I did tell him I would look to pursue other opportunities, but would be happy to stay if I got what I thought was a fair raise. I wasn't looking to break the bank, but just get more in line with the job I was doing.

HOWEVER

If you do this, you had better be ready to move. You can do this once, maybe twice every 4-5 years, but more than that and most managers won't think you're worth the trouble. And I think they might be right. You can get a onetime (or rare-time) adjustment if your pay is out of whack, but get it in line then. Don't expect this regularly.

I thought this through long and hard before I went to my boss. I had to be at peace with leaving, interviewing, looking for jobs. And I did start to do that. They gave me the raise, I kept on for another year, left for other reasons and took a salary cut to do so.

I think you have two choices:

1. Continue to talk about this regularly, every couple weeks, and re-iterate your reasons, adding new ones as necessary. Eventually I think this will be successful if you are not too pushy.

2. Look for a new job. You can continue dialog with your boss, but you need to be sure you are ready to leave.

Best of luck, and make sure that you are asking for something that makes sense. Both in line with what's in your company, and what's at other companies in your area. You might ask HR to review your salary against others, anonymously, and see if your responsibilities are really out of whack with your pay. Give them a list of what others do, their names, and what you do. Let them research it without giving you the details of how you compare with specific people, just the general result.

I thought

• Well, I'm not sure what the cause was, but my boss actually changed his tune pretty quickly. Most likely, once he realized the actual impact of his decision, he realized that there was no chance I was going to put up with it. The facts were simple: my qualifications had increased, my responsibilities had increased, and my performance had increased. Trying to freeze my pay would only force me to look elsewhere to get what I need. It seems he realized that without me having to say anything. I didn't really take no for an answer, though.

Nothing is formalized yet, but he's willing to bring it up to the CEO, who for the most part entrusts his CFO with most financial decisions (as it should be).

My boss finally sat down with me to talk numbers. He asked what I was looking for, and it seemed like that same number was on the tip of his tongue. I was actually suprised I didn't have to haggle over the amount at all. The raise I was requested was substantial, but completely fair. He said it would put me in the 50th percentile for my position. If that is true, what percentile was I in before - and how could he possibly justify freezing me at that rate?

Although I will completely satisfied (for the year at least) should I receive this increase, this is the second year in a row I've had to go to such extreme measures to get what I was due. I think it's still important that I explore my options. It appears I'm going to need a bargaining chip again next year...

--J

• If you are saying you got a raise last year, are going to get (or atleast it sounds like) this year and plan or hope to get one next year my advice is never ever leave that job. Getting a substatial raise on a yearly basis is extremply rare in this day and age. And never go into management as management are often asked to go without raises in the name of corporate support.

Our raises this year were .01%

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• I do understand that to be true, but I am the exception, not the rule. I started this job several years ago with no formal education, but quite a bit of experience. I didn't have a lot of other options at the time, so I was brought in at a very low hourly rate. I was brought in on a 90-day contract. When that ended, I asked for a substantial (25%) increase, which I did not receive all of. Last year, when I received an increase, my boss openly confessed that I still wasn't making what I deserved. Even now, I am barely scraping the surface of what I should be making. Over these last few years, I've shown them a great deal of value, saved a lot of employees a lot of time, and expanded on my formal education. They want me to continue this trend by working towards my MCITP and taking classes. If all of this happens (and it will; I'm a very ambitious person), of course I'm going to expect more compensation as a result. I doubt next year will be as dramatic as this year, but even my boss said: this was a really good year for me.

--J

• We got COLA raises, small ones this year. Slightly more last year.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply