Getting started with SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services

• Hello All,

I am evaluating SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services as a replacement to SAP/BO/Crystal. I have general questions and am looking for direction.

Do I need a specific version of Visual Studio to develop reports with SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services? We use VS2005 currently to develop SSIS packages in a SQL Server 2005 environment. Do I need or will I want VS 2008 or 2010 in order to develop in 2008 R2?

Can anyone recommend any books or training classes/materials for report developers?

Whats the role of Report Builder 3.0? Is this for developers or for novices or what is it for?

• I'll try to comment here for you.

Do I need a specific version of Visual Studio to develop reports with SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services? We use VS2005 currently to develop SSIS packages in a SQL Server 2005 environment. Do I need or will I want VS 2008 or 2010 in order to develop in 2008 R2?

The SQL Server 2008 R2 installer will install a lightweight version of Visual Studio (I believe it is VS 2008, the same as SQL Server 2008 R1, but I'm not 100% sure right now). Report projects can be developed there, but you'll def need the 2008 R2 version of BIDS present to develop in visual studio.

Can anyone recommend any books or training classes/materials for report developers?

You can check out Microsoft's site to look for training:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/default.aspx

Upon doing a quick search, I didn't see anything specific to SSRS, but there are plenty of sites out there with information, including this one:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlkjreportingservices/threads

Whats the role of Report Builder 3.0? Is this for developers or for novices or what is it for?

Report Builder 3.0 is a standalone installation that helps you build out reports. I know some developers and novices that like using it. Feedback from my SCCM admin at my company said that the tool was great for getting reports built quickly, but I'm not very familiar with how flexible of a tool it is compared to building reports through Visual Studio.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Steve

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply