Getting syntax error in my stored procedure.Pls help URGENT!!!

• Below is the stored procedure i am creating.I created @Report_Parameter_1 report parameter and added two values Forclosure and Bancrupcy'.

I AM GETTING ERROR Line 16: Incorrect syntax near '=' IN BELOW PROCEDURE IN THIS LINE

then dbo.tblRAIL.lkpRailid = 1.Do you know why i am getting this error.

Store Procedure

declare @Attorneyrname as string

declare @Report_Parameter_1 as string

SELECT DISTINCT

dbo.tblVENDOR.VendorName, dbo.tblVENDOR.VendorShortName, dbo.tblRAIL.RailDescr, dbo.tblSPIKE.SpikeDescr, dbo.tblRAIL.ScreenValue,

dbo.tlkpSID.SId, dbo.tblConVendtoSuperClient.VendorID

FROM dbo.tlkpSID INNER JOIN

dbo.tblSPIKE ON dbo.tlkpSID.SidID = dbo.tblSPIKE.SidId INNER JOIN

dbo.tblRAIL INNER JOIN

dbo.tblVENDOR ON dbo.tblRAIL.SuperClientVendorId = dbo.tblVENDOR.VendorId ON dbo.tblSPIKE.RailId = dbo.tblRAIL.RailId INNER JOIN

dbo.tblConVendtoSuperClient ON dbo.tblVENDOR.VendorId = dbo.tblConVendtoSuperClient.SuperClientId

WHERE (dbo.tblConVendtoSuperClient.VendorID = 199) AND (dbo.tblvendor.vendorid <> 123)

and (dbo.tblVENDOR.VendorName=@Attorneyrname)and

case when @Report_Parameter_1='Forclosure'

then dbo.tblRAIL.lkpRailid = 1,

case when @Report_Parameter_1='Bankrupcy'

then dbo.tblRAIL.lkpRailid = 2

end

• I am very sure that you cannot use the CASE function in the where clause of a query

Why do you not work this out using conditional logic before the query and then test for dbo.tblRAIL.lkpRailid being equal to a variable depending on whether you want ForClosure or Bankruptcy.

David

• This should work:

WHERE (dbo.tblConVendtoSuperClient.VendorID = 199)

AND (dbo.tblvendor.vendorid <> 123)

and (dbo.tblVENDOR.VendorName=@Attorneyrname)

and ((@Report_Parameter_1='Forclosure' and dbo.tblRAIL.lkpRailid = 1)

or (@Report_Parameter_1='Bankrupcy' and dbo.tblRAIL.lkpRailid = 2))

• Shouldn't this:

dbo.tblVENDOR ON dbo.tblRAIL.SuperClientVendorId = dbo.tblVENDOR.VendorId ON dbo.tblSPIKE.RailId =

be this:

dbo.tblVENDOR ON dbo.tblRAIL.SuperClientVendorId = dbo.tblVENDOR.VendorId AND  dbo.tblSPIKE.RailId =

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• Actually, you can, just not in the manner that the original poster did it in. For an example (using Northwind):

SELECT

FROM

Customers

WHERE

City = Case Country WHEN 'Germany' THEN 'Berlin' ELSE 'London' END

In other words, you can case a single expression, but not the entire comparison.

While the other methods might work as well, the following changes to the original code will work (although both foreclosure and bankruptcy are mispelled, so if they are spelled correctly in the parameter, it won't return what you want).

declare @Attorneyrname as string

declare @Report_Parameter_1 as string

SELECT DISTINCT

dbo.tblVENDOR.VendorName, dbo.tblVENDOR.VendorShortName, dbo.tblRAIL.RailDescr, dbo.tblSPIKE.SpikeDescr, dbo.tblRAIL.ScreenValue,

dbo.tlkpSID.SId, dbo.tblConVendtoSuperClient.VendorID

FROM dbo.tlkpSID INNER JOIN

dbo.tblSPIKE ON dbo.tlkpSID.SidID = dbo.tblSPIKE.SidId INNER JOIN

dbo.tblRAIL INNER JOIN

dbo.tblVENDOR ON dbo.tblRAIL.SuperClientVendorId = dbo.tblVENDOR.VendorId ON dbo.tblSPIKE.RailId = dbo.tblRAIL.RailId INNER JOIN

dbo.tblConVendtoSuperClient ON dbo.tblVENDOR.VendorId = dbo.tblConVendtoSuperClient.SuperClientId

WHERE (dbo.tblConVendtoSuperClient.VendorID = 199) AND (dbo.tblvendor.vendorid <> 123)

and (dbo.tblVENDOR.VendorName = @Attorneyrname) and

dbo.tblRAIL.lkpRailid = CASE @Report_Parameter_1

WHEN 'Forclosure' THEN 1

WHEN 'Bankrupcy' THEN 2

END

• Thats quite interesting David I had never though of using CASE like that in the where clause of a query.

David

• David, it also works great in the ORDER BY clause, where you can handle some offbeat requirements. For instance, using the same Northwind table from above, let's say you want to order Customers by city, but want customers in your home-city (I'll use London in this case) to show up first. Just do something like this:

SELECT

FROM

Customers

ORDER BY

CASE City WHEN 'London' THEN 0 ELSE 1 END

,City

One of the most common uses of this is to make Null behave differently when sorting on a column.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply