Getting table structure and data to outside consultant

• The company I work for has hired an outside company to do some development and we have to give them a group of tables along with a sample of data that will be used in the program.

What is the best way to do this. There will be about 5-10 tables from one database and 5 tables from another database. Plus new tables that have not yet been created.

I was thinking about scripting the tables and sending a file populated with a sample of the data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

• Create a blank database with same name and do SELECT INTO statement of the 5-10 tables and the 5.  Then create the new tables as needed.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Then should I back up the db and send of the files.

Thanks

• That is a very good question for 2005 make sure your backup use the C dirve if not the person need to create backup devices and restore in recovery mode and then restore again to get the database.  I had to create four sets of code to restore a database created on E drive and SQL Server will not let me use the GUI.  Hope this helps

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• There is no need to backup the database.

You can follow the earlier suggestion. You can give sample data to the customer instead of giving the real data.

Minaz Amin

"More Green More Oxygen !! Plant a tree today"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply