getting text output from stored procedure

• Steve:

Sorry for lecturing, and Kitkat is fortunate that you share your knowledge and expertise with this site!

I'm old school and avoid wizards like the plague. I encourage all programmers to understand the actual code which the wizards are depending on for accomplishing its output.

Also, I ask that they consider this as their goal while using a wizard, generator, or designer; so that quick does not always replace the robust.

kitkat: As time allows, please look into SQL system stored procedures calls for sp_help, sp_texthelp, sp_tables, sp_columns, etc...

This is helpful in building your SQL knowledge and borrowing from its syntax. Also you can list all "column names" from any new table within your database by "table name" using:

SELECT COLUMN_NAME FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

WHERE TABLE_NAME='mytable'

ORDER BY ORDINAL_POSITION

Display all non-system "stored procedures":

SELECT NAME

FROM SYSOBJECTS

WHERE XTYPE='P'

Viewing your "sp's" with sp_helptext 'name':

SP_HELPTEXT 'my_procedure'

NOTE: procedure call ( to view self )

USE MASTER;

EXEC SP_HELPTEXT 'sp_helptext'

Regards,

Coach James

• Steve,

I got the report to work in SQL reporting finally ....

Instead of manipulating in data in reporting...i modify the calling stored procedure so that it gets AssetID in its first select statement. This is what i did

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[sp_exec_dependsonme]  @Asset varchar(50)

AS

begin

set nocount on

declare @statflag int

set @statflag=1

if @statflag=0  --never true, just to show AssetID field in reporting services data grid

begin

select AssetID from ##temp_dependsonme

end

if exists(select 1 from tempdb..sysobjects where name = '##temp_dependsonme' and type = 'U')

begin

drop table ##temp_dependsonme

end

create table ##temp_dependsonme (

ID INT primary key identity,

AssetID ntext )

exec dbo.rec_dependsonme   @Asset

select  AssetID from ##temp_dependsonme order by ID asc

end

GO

It worked just fine in sql reports. Thanks for all your help. I did learn a good deal in this report.

ENJOY!

kitkat

• Does it work if you do this :

if 1=0 --never true, just to show AssetID field in reporting services data grid

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply