ghost cleanup process

• hi,

I am using sql 2008

I am trying to debug a process that is not working properly (database not updating as expected)

in profiler I am getting a lock timeout on system process (SPID < 50) I am guessing it is the ghost cleanup process from what I have read. The lock timeout on the server is set to infinity.

I am wondering if these lock timeouts would be causing the database would not to be updating correctly (i.e deleting)?

please help!

• djordan 4543 (10/29/2013)

I am wondering if these lock timeouts would be causing the database would not to be updating correctly (i.e deleting)?

You mean you issue an update and the affected row is instead deleted? If so, no lock timeouts cannot cause that. An update will be processed as an update or will fail entirely (leaving rows with their original values)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • can it cause to delete incorrectly?

• As in what? Delete rows other than the ones you asked to be deleted? No. All locks and lock timeouts can do is make a statement wait or fail entirely (as in not do any of the modifications)

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Imeant prevent a delete from happening... but if that happens would I see the error column in profiler be something other than zero for the delete statements?

• Lock timeouts can cause a delete to fail and roll back entirely. I don't know offhand what error you'd get or where you'd see it.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply