Give temporary dba rights

• Hi,

I am the dba for my organization. I am the only one the sysadmin group.

What happens if I am sick or gone on vacation and the staff needs something done.

How can I provide access to one of my colleagues let's say if I am sick or not there that day.

Is there a way I can give them access without addind them to the sysadmin group.

Any advice or article would help.

Thanks.

• It all depends. What tasks would your colleague be expected to do? Everything your currently do? Only a small subset of what you do? If it's a subset, create a role that would allow them the ability to perform what's expected in your absence (like any maintenance tasks). The good news is, you're trying to resolve this PRIOR to being out ill or on vacation. Test out the resolution by letting him/her perform all the necessary tasks WHILE you're there and adjust rights as needed. This way, when the time comes, you'll be confident that the organization will function just fine.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Ask your system administrator (not DBA) to create an account in AD and set expiration time;

You assign this (windows) account in SQL Server with necessary privilege.

• What is AD that your refering to?

Ask your system administrator (not DBA) to create an account in AD and set expiration time;

You assign this (windows) account in SQL Server with necessary privilege.

• AD: Active Directory. A term in Windows Server.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply