Global Variables & Parameters

• Help!

I am trying to use the 'ExecuteSQL' task within a DTS package to call a stored procedure.

Example:

EXECUTE sp_TEST ?,?,?,?,?

Where the ? = seperate parameters.

However, the execution fails b/c it appears that the ExecuteSQL task can only support up to 3 parameters. The problem is that each stored proc that I call uses the same parameters. I am trying to cut down on the need to format variables inside the stored proc.

Example (contents of sp_TEST):

create proc sp_TEST

RUNID INTEGER,

STARTTIME DATE,

STOPTIME DATE,

ADDTIME DATE,

USERID VARCHAR (32)

AS

blah, blah, blah

If I can not pass them in then I will have to format them over and over. Any thoughts how I can avoid this headache?

Sean

• You could use the Dynamic Properties task to read in the values and alter the SQL statement. Would get ugly. I'd probably use an Active X Task instead.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Meant to test this today but have a project that I will be busy with. However what Steve is suggesting should do the trick.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Steve-

I am not sure what you are suggesting. Can I call a SP from an active x scrpt. If so, is there a limit to the number of parameters I can pass in.

I thought that maybe from each SP I could call a 'global variables' sp which set the values for a number of common variables used in each SP. However, it seems like you have to declare and set each variable IN EACH sp, so that won't work either.

I am interested to get more detail re: your active x solution.

Please advise.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply