Going to Dev Edition

• We've got 2005 Enterprise Edition (SP3) on a cluster. This is actually a dev cluster, so we need to switch it to the dev edition of SQL Server.

So our plan is to com pletely uninstall the Enterprise SQL Server and then do an install of the Dev version.

Where can I find some documentation on how to do this on a cluster?

• It's going to be the same as installing Enterprise Edition on a cluster. Are you familiar with that?

If it's an active/passive cluster, then start here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189134.aspx

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• For a 2005 cluster start here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190438(v=sql.90).aspx

Otherwise Google "uninstall sql 2005 from a cluster"

Lots of information here.

Leo

Leo
    Nothing in life is ever so complicated that with a little work it can't be made more complicated.

• It's active active. Does that make a difference in your comments?

• Active/Active is really only a logical construct. If you fail one of the instances over so both named instances are running on a single node, you are technically now Active/Passive. The only extra consideration is that you now have two instances on a single server.

Cheers

Leo

Leo
    Nothing in life is ever so complicated that with a little work it can't be made more complicated.

• Whisper9999 (2/27/2012)

We've got 2005 Enterprise Edition (SP3) on a cluster. This is actually a dev cluster, so we need to switch it to the dev edition of SQL Server.

So our plan is to com pletely uninstall the Enterprise SQL Server and then do an install of the Dev version.

Where can I find some documentation on how to do this on a cluster?

Check with a Microsoft rep. If you can show you purchased of a Developer Edition license and are in fact not using the cluster in a production capacity you may be in compliance and will not need to rip-and-replace.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• I agree with opc.three.

We have gone through this in the past with Microsoft, and they are happy to consider our Dev cluster as only needing a Dev Edition license fee even though we always install Enterprise Edition to ensure compatibility with Production.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply