Good, free, simple database modelling tools

• Hello

Are there any good, free, simple database modelling tools out there?

I'm not really after something that can create and synch databases with version control and all the other bits and pieces that full blown development teams might want to use etc. etc.

At this stage, all I really want is something simple that I can connect to a SQL Server database, and automatically generate a model with.

Does anybody have thoughts on how to achieve this?

Thanks

- Damian

• Database diagrammer in SSMS

• Thanks

I'll look further into SSMS although doesn't that dynamically modify the table?

- Damian

• CA ERwin has a free tool now, although that version does limit the number of objects. The full ERwin is a fantastic modeling tool (my favorite of the many I've used). I haven't used the free version, but presumably it's similar to the enterprise version.

I believe Oracle also has a free tool (they finally killed their for-pay DM tool after it limped along for a while). I've never used it, and it may be limited to generating for Oracle (or it may not, I'm not sure). But converting the logical model to a physical model is easier than the logical design anyway, so you can live with it even if it doesn't generate T-SQL.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply