Good Settings of DB Maintenance Plan

• Hi,

I'm looking for a typical as well as an optimized settings for DB Maintenance Plan. I'd appreciate much If someone can point me out some good related articles.

Recently, I pay special attention on 2 settings in the Maint. Plan: Data Optimization Plan & Database Integrity Check

Under Data Optimization Tab there're couple of choices should be made ie Reorganize Data & Pages, Update Statistic & Remove unused space. the first two is mutually exclusive. However, I couldn't justify myself which choices should be chosen and what's the value for particular criteria (such as free space per page percentage)

I'd appreciate much on any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Hendry

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I tend to check the following:

Change to 10% free space for those that aren't heavy transactional ones. More like 30-40 for larger trans loads.

I remove space, shrink down to 10% growth (I have auto grow set to 10%)

• I tend to put each user database into a separate maintenance plan.

On small to medium databases I tend to enable the "Reorganise data and index pages", where as on larger ones I tend to not to preferring to have a specific maintenance plan to do this.

On small to medium databases I tend to enable "reorganise pages with original amount of space.

On larger ones I use the "Change free space per page".

I have my own stored procedure to update statistics.  This, and all my other utility stored procedures I put in the MODEL database so every new database inherrits them.

Remove unused space from files is an option I put in a specific maintenance plan.

I check the data integrity box on all maintenance plans but don't check the "attempt to repair minor problems".  I'm not sure what it would do to the database so I would sooner find there is a problem then try to correct it myself.

I always have these checks performed prior to the backup.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply