Good SQL Server Monitoring Tool

• Hi,

As a DBA in my organization, I am asked being asked to evaluate a good SQL Server Monitoring tool that is available in the market.

One of the tools that i have tried is the SQL Response from Red-Gate while this has very user-friendly interface it does not cover all the aspects of the SQL Server counters. Also doesn't show the graphical view of the CPU, Memory, Disk usage counters as compared to Idera SQL Diagnostic manager.

Any opinions? What would be a good monitoring tool for Mid size organization with 5 to 10 SQL Servers.

Thanks in advance.

Amol

Amol Naik

• I've used Response, and it worked well for me. Will probably get a copy for my new job in a couple of months, once a few other priorities have been finished.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Have used SQL Diagnostic manager since it was sqlprobe, back in 1999 or so.

I tend to use a lot of my own tools however it all depends what you expect to get from a monitoring tool.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• These are some of monitoring tools

SQL server DBA Dasboard - Microsoft

DB Artisan - Embarcadero

Performance Analyst - Embarcadero

SQL Diagnostic manager - Idera

• Adding to the list:

Operations Manager

SQLH2 and Performance Dashboard tools

Spiceworks for OS\hardware monitoring

RSS Reporter from xSQLSoftware

http://www.xsqlsoftware.com/Product/Sql_Server_Rss_Reporter.aspx

MJ

• I use Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager and I find it very good.

It's easy to install and configure, simple to use, and has a lot of really well thought out features.

You could do worse than to download an evaluation copy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply