Grab value from XML based on another column's value

• I need a way to dynamically grab a value from an XML string based on a value in another column in my table. The end result should look like the table below:

DECLARE @temp TABLE(

ErrorText nvarchar(4000),

Severity nvarchar(3),

ErrorCol nvarchar(50),

ErrorData XML,

ErrorValue nvarchar(50)

)

Insert INTO @Temp

select 'Field EnrolledFromDateID does not comply with validation rule' as ErrorText, 'E' as Severity, 'EnrolledFromDateID' as ErrorCol, '<root><DW_Id>1</DW_Id><EnrolledFromDateID>20090901</EnrolledFromDateID><AcademicYear>20092010</AcademicYear></root>' as ErrorData, '20090901' as ErrorValue

UNION

select 'Field AcademicYear does not comply with validation rule', 'W', 'AcademicYear', '<root><DW_Id>1</DW_Id><EnrolledFromDateID>20090901</EnrolledFromDateID><AcademicYear>20092010</AcademicYear></root>' as ErrorData, '20092010' as ErrorValue

select * from @temp

I've been doing a CROSS APPLY to my XML column, but I have to specify the node(?) name in my select statement. My query is below:

DECLARE @temp TABLE(

ErrorText nvarchar(4000),

Severity nvarchar(3),

ErrorCol nvarchar(50),

ErrorData XML,

ErrorValue nvarchar(50)

)

Insert INTO @Temp

select 'Field EnrolledFromDateID does not comply with validation rule' as ErrorText, 'E' as Severity, 'EnrolledFromDateID' as ErrorCol, '<root><DW_Id>1</DW_Id><EnrolledFromDateID>20090901</EnrolledFromDateID><AcademicYear>20092010</AcademicYear></root>' as ErrorData, '20090901' as ErrorValue

UNION

select 'Field AcademicYear does not comply with validation rule', 'W', 'AcademicYear', '<root><DW_Id>1</DW_Id><EnrolledFromDateID>20090901</EnrolledFromDateID><AcademicYear>20092010</AcademicYear></root>' as ErrorData, '20092010' as ErrorValue

select t.*, n.l.value('EnrolledFromDateID[1]','VARCHAR(20)') as DesiredValue from @temp t

CROSS APPLY ErrorData.nodes('//root') n(l)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

• select t.*, n.l.value('.','VARCHAR(20)') as DesiredValue

from @temp t

CROSS APPLY ErrorData.nodes('/root/*[local-name(.)=sql:column("ErrorCol")]') n(l)

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • That was exactly what I needed. Thanks, Mark!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply