Grant non-sysadmin ability to view any database's users

• I have a login that I currently use to collect information on a SQL Server instance, including instance properties, databases and their properties, logins, etc.

A newly-added requirement is to also record the users in each database. I've come up with a few ways to do this, but none have been satisfactory:

1.) grant sysadmin to the login - I've tried hard to keep this login's privileges to a minimum, so I'd like to avoid this option

2.) create user in each database and grant select on sys.database_principals - This would be difficult to maintain with new databases being created

3.) create a certificate-signed stored proc - This would require a database on each server to hold the procedure. Not ideal, but more palatable than the first 2 options.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Colleen M. Morrow
    Cleveland DBA

• Colleen M. Morrow (12/7/2011)

I have a login that I currently use to collect information on a SQL Server instance, including instance properties, databases and their properties, logins, etc.

A newly-added requirement is to also record the users in each database. I've come up with a few ways to do this, but none have been satisfactory:

1.) grant sysadmin to the login - I've tried hard to keep this login's privileges to a minimum, so I'd like to avoid this option

2.) create user in each database and grant select on sys.database_principals - This would be difficult to maintain with new databases being created

3.) create a certificate-signed stored proc - This would require a database on each server to hold the procedure. Not ideal, but more palatable than the first 2 options.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

1. Is this a SQL user or a domain account? While limiting rights is admirable I think you might have to use elevated rights..

2. You can add the user in model and unless you restored a database this would create the user in every newly created database..

3. I don't think this would do it either, you have cross database problems that are similar to #2.

You might look at the server role: securityadmin

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189610(v=sql.90).aspx

CEWII

• Thanks, Elliott.

This is a SQL Login. Unfortunately, even securityadmin isn't enough to view database users.

Colleen M. Morrow
    Cleveland DBA

• Well shoot.. I seem to remember a similar problem when I was writing my inventory and auditing package thats on codeplex.

I elected to use a user with sysadmin rights due to needing so much deep information about individual databases I just couldn't get it any other palatable way.. I prefer to use trusted authentication whenever I can, even if that requires a proxy on the originating side..

CEWII

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply