Great Developers

• For me there is one sure way to tell:

Arrogant bosses or developers focus more on getting than on giving.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• Hm, how about looking at their posts on SQL Server Central? Its a good way to see how you approach problems and see how you interact with others. Its also a way to see if they get things right or wrong a lot.

If you come off as a jerk who is wrong a lot it will show.. The more posts the greater the view

Its sad that when I was just starting out there were limited places even remotely like SSC. And I certainly wasn't confident enough to write an article subject to critical review..

CEWII

• On the "great but humble" point, I like to tell people I have a horrible flaw in my personality, without which I would exceed all possible definitions of perfection. The flaw? Low self-esteem. :w00t:

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Rob Nickolaus-860201 (3/12/2012)

So how does one know that the person they are inteviewing or meeting is a "humble genius" rather than an "overbearing rock star?"

Oh, tough question, Rob. I've sat in my fair share of interviews, but I don't honestly think you can ever know if you've got a humble genius sitting before you, or an arrogant jerk. The best I can come up with are hints. If the interviewer can't think of anything they've done which went wrong, then that for me is a red flag. If they can't learn from others, regardless of the others' intelligence, then a red flag goes up for me.

Probably others on this list who have more experience at interviewing have better insight into this. I look forward to what they have to say.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Give an interviewee enough rope and they will hang themselves 😉

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Rod at work (3/12/2012)

Rob Nickolaus-860201 (3/12/2012)

So how does one know that the person they are inteviewing or meeting is a "humble genius" rather than an "overbearing rock star?"

Oh, tough question, Rob. I've sat in my fair share of interviews, but I don't honestly think you can ever know if you've got a humble genius sitting before you, or an arrogant jerk. The best I can come up with are hints. If the interviewer can't think of anything they've done which went wrong, then that for me is a red flag. If they can't learn from others, regardless of the others' intelligence, then a red flag goes up for me.

Probably others on this list who have more experience at interviewing have better insight into this. I look forward to what they have to say.

Ask for references. Call the references and talk with them about the person, not just about their resume. Ask about the person's ability to get along with others (reminds me of All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten), how they dealt with stress, were they open to suggestions from others, how did they handle disagreements on a team, how did they deal with conflict, did they cause conflict, etc.

Talk with the person in your company who arranged the interview. Talk with the receptionist who greeted them when they arrived. Ask them how the interviewee treated them. Some people will be nice during an interview, but treat the receptionist or others poorly.

• Bob Abernethy (3/12/2012)

Ask for references. Call the references and talk with them about the person, not just about their resume. Ask about the person's ability to get along with others (reminds me of All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten), how they dealt with stress, were they open to suggestions from others, how did they handle disagreements on a team, how did they deal with conflict, did they cause conflict, etc.

Talk with the person in your company who arranged the interview. Talk with the receptionist who greeted them when they arrived. Ask them how the interviewee treated them. Some people will be nice during an interview, but treat the receptionist or others poorly.

A lot of the companies I know do not allow for this no matter what the interviewee has signed. They don't want to open themselves up to any risk. They often resort to the worked here from X to Y and their final salary was Z. Some won't even discuss quit or fired or downsized. Sticking to the basics limits their exposure.

CEWII

• Gary Varga (3/12/2012)

Give an interviewee enough rope and they will hang themselves 😉

Heh... "It Depends". I normally spend most of my time in an interview interviewing the interviewer. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (3/12/2012)

Gary Varga (3/12/2012)

Heh... "It Depends". I normally spend most of my time in an interview interviewing the interviewer. 😉

...and doesn't that tell us a lot about you Jeff 😉

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• It depends IS a valid answer.. However, I then ask, "tell me about WHAT it depends on and how that might affect the solution". I'm not asking for a full solution but I'm looking for methodology and whether they have the understanding of what can affect the solution.

CEWII

• Gary Varga (3/13/2012)

Jeff Moden (3/12/2012)

Gary Varga (3/12/2012)

...and doesn't that tell us a lot about you Jeff 😉

Heh... it sure does. I'm allergic to rope neckties. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Great developer hmmm... How do I know I am a great developer? I have no qualifications and learnt all that I know from my boss and mentor and on the internet. Does that make me not a great developer? It sure looks like it because I have sent my CV to many companies and no-one wants me so I am stuck where I am but hey, I've got a job!!

It makes me just work that much harder to proof myself and prove that I am worth while keeping around.;-);-);-);-)

Manie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I am happy because I choose to be happy.
    I just love my job!!!

• Perhaps you need someone to help you with your CV, Mannie. Although many folks loath recruiters, a good one is worth their weight in Gold. Rather than taking a shot-gun approach with companies that are looking, find a good recruiter and let their fingers to the walking.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (5/30/2016)

Perhaps you need someone to help you with your CV, Mannie. Although many folks loath recruiters, a good one is worth their weight in Gold. Rather than taking a shot-gun approach with companies that are looking, find a good recruiter and let their fingers to the walking.

Lately, in South Africa anyway, nearly all companies use recruiters so whenever you see a job advert it goes through a recruiter. And, I have actually found a recruiter who specializes in IT jobs. I gave them my CV and for a while got some very good interviews but nothing came from it. Where my CV is concerned, these guys actually helped me with my CV. I am telling you everywhere I went they ask for my qualifications and when I say I have none, they say sorry sir.

Manie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I just love my job!!!

• Please allow me to make one thing clear. My post was not to rant about the unfairness of the job market although I believe it might have sounded like that. I just wanted to ask the question: "Could unqualified developers be seen as great developers?". I am not bragging when I said that I have taught a few guys with degrees a thing or two.

So, tell me what do you think, experience or qualification? Be honest.

Manie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I just love my job!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply