Grouping sets query

• All,

I'm trying to teach myself grouping sets.

I have an existing database giving me a result I don't understand but when I create a test example it gives me the result I expect and I can't work out why there is a difference. The test example is as follows:

create table test (favouritecount int, viewcount int, commentcount int)
    insert into test (favouritecount , viewcount , commentcount ) values (148,67525,5)

select favouritecount, viewcount, sum(commentcount)

from test

group by grouping sets (

(favouritecount, viewcount ),
    (favouritecount),
    (viewcount)

)

order by favouritecount, viewcount

This gives me three rows, one of each grouping set, which is the result I expected:

FavouriteCount ViewCount CommentCount

NULL 67525 5

148 NULL 5

148 67525 5

If I run the following query on the existing database:

select favoritecount, viewcount, sum(commentcount)

from posts
    where CreationDate >'01/01/2019'

group by grouping sets (

(favoritecount, viewcount ),
    (favoritecount),
    (viewcount)

)

order by favoritecount, viewcount

I get the following two rows:

FavoriteCount ViewCount CommentCount

148 NULL 5

148 67525 5

I can't work out why one row is missing. There are too many rows in the posts table to create a script so I ran the following query which, I think, shows that the data is the same as the test table:

select favoritecount, viewcount, commentcount

from posts

where (CreationDate>'01/01/2019')

and (favoritecount = 148
    or viewcount =67525)

Result:

FavoriteCount, ViewCount,CommentCount

148 67525 5

The only difference I can see between the queries is the where clause for the 'creationdate' and I don't think that would affect the number of grouping sets displayed? The reason for the where clause is to narrow down the search to one table partition, I'm working on a system with not many resources.

Apologises if I've missed a simple difference between the queries? If there is no simple difference then I would appreciate some suggestions on what I can check to try and work out the reason for the different results. I checked the column types and they are the same.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  as1981. Reason: Typing error
  • All,

Sorry - please ignore this question. A simple mistake reading the results on the posts table. The query works as expected. I had been looking at it for a couple of hours but didn't find it until after posting.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply