Hacking Data

• An issue regarding the extensive use of software/firmware and intercommunication in new cars is not only that of security, but of survivability.

Systems subjected to EMP or high level of radiation from a Mass Solar Ejection can essentially render the vehicle (or substitute any complex computerized system) practically worthless. This is a security issue in an of itself if you consider that the safety and security of everyone is backed up by people (police/fire/emergency etc.) who are using these very vehicles and or systems.

The complexity and vulnerability of modern society today (IMHO) makes it mandatory that people have some plan or means to survive on their own for some extended period of time. Many will be shocked by a world that suddenly lacks the institutional/governmental cushions and even luxuries they have grown accustomed to.

That my $.02.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• sturner (4/21/2011)

An issue regarding the extensive use of software/firmware and intercommunication in new cars is not only that of security, but of survivability.

Systems subjected to EMP or high level of radiation from a Mass Solar Ejection can essentially render the vehicle (or substitute any complex computerized system) practically worthless. This is a security issue in an of itself if you consider that the safety and security of everyone is backed up by people (police/fire/emergency etc.) who are using these very vehicles and or systems.

The complexity and vulnerability of modern society today (IMHO) makes it mandatory that people have some plan or means to survive on their own for some extended period of time. Many will be shocked by a world that suddenly lacks the institutional/governmental cushions and even luxuries they have grown accustomed to.

That my $.02.

That's why I stockpile vaccum packed boxes of ammunition and batteries for use as barter.

Just kidding... 😉

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Heh heh, well, I was about to overlook your comment about the cats and dogs and commend you on your quality of preparation personal responsibility, but then I noticed you said "Just kidding...". 😉

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• Here's a thought: Don't link the stereo to the car's computer. I know Microsoft and Apple are keen on turning cars into a media center, but consider even in the digital age, the stereo is a component that's often ripped and replaced by owners. Sure, we can link appliances and cars and everything else to the Internet, but no one's asking if we should. Why does Volkswagen need to know that I listen to classical on Sunday mornings and Metallica during rush hour? Why does Kroger need to know I buy some of the cheap stuff at Aldi? Answer: They don't. Volkswagen (or Toyota or even Tesla) doesn't need to know my musical tastes, which can shift on a dime anyway, and Kroger gets all the data they need off of me at the checkout line. When you start linking systems together that really don't need to be linked, don't be surprised when everything gets hacked.

That said, you can have my streaming television device when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. 😀

--- Remember, if you don't document your work, Apollo 13 doesn't come home.

• Eric M Russell (3/23/2011)

Personally, I still drive my '99 Corolla, because it gets me where I need to go.

And I drive my 20-year-old truck for the same reason.

• My grandmother always told me they'll never build a lock that someone can't pick.

• Several things that annoy me. First is the "Chicken Little" garbage where someone reports that with a laptop connected to the diagnostic port of a car they could hack it. "Well duh... And given Visual Studio on my computer I can write a program to delete things." The only thing of note there is that there is interconnection between engine diagnostics and the doors and windows.

But I would also like to know more about the supposed attack through an MP3. I will concede it is possible, but have serious doubts.

As for the EMP issue - get over yourself. Even without the interconnection a significant EMP will obliterate the ignition system of your car unless specifically hardened. Even if you have an older system. Go do some research. And if the car is on - yea your walking.

Now to the real issue - unless government mandates it, this will get worse not better. The cheapest way is to simply tag more work onto a single computer in the car. And cost will continue to drive the issue.

• Remember the story about the 5 year old kid who accidentally discovered he could hack through XBox user authentication by padding the password field with a spaces?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/04/tech/gaming-gadgets/5-year-old-xbox-hack/index.html

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Here is a more recent car hacking article where the hackers were able to hijack a jeep remotely via internet. That's a bit more unsettling than having a laptop plugged in to the car directly.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway

An MP3 player and an automobile engine are two unrelated systems that should not be tightly coupled.

This is the real problem. Components on cars are no longer silo'd, their all on a series of interconnected buses including CAN which covers much of the vehicle from lighting, security, brakes, doors, windows, instruments etc.

The level of interdependency is horrific. A failure of the radio can affect dozens of systems and often the dealer is clueless and starts replacing expensive modules.

Just a few years ago, the lights, the radio, horn, windows, AC, etc. were on separate circuits. Failure of any one of those circuits could have no effect on the others.

How is this a good thing?

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Remotely hacking another driver's Bluetooth component system is a way cooler and less violent way to express road rage than pulling out a handgun. 🙂

• I agree with Chris. This article is misleading and was mixing two stories together. Mass distribution of this information through the otherwise reputable SQLServerCentral.com is how stories get miss-quoted as fact.

It's kind of like my mom telling me that Disney made $4 billion on Star Wars VII the first weekend. Uh, no. Star Wars VII broke records this weekend, but the $4 billion is how much they paid for the franchise from George Lucas.

I am more likely to watch Fox News ahead of MSNBC, but my feeling is that most news outlets regularly add spin to their headlines. I understood the humor and no offense was taken.

😉

An MP3 player and an automobile engine are two unrelated systems that should not be tightly coupled.

Hmm that reminds me of some quotes I saw back in the 90's:

"The electrical grid, nuclear power facilities, and the public internetworking are very different systems and should not be interconnected..."

Often enough - just because we've made it possible, even if ill-advised, someone will be short-sighted and connect things that ought not be connected...... I'm guessing wiring the radio to the electronics in the engine probably saved 25-30$ over another design that would have avoided that issue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (#4) (12/22/2015)

Eric M Russell (3/23/2011)

Hmm that reminds me of some quotes I saw back in the 90's:

"The electrical grid, nuclear power facilities, and the public internetworking are very different systems and should not be interconnected..."

Often enough - just because we've made it possible, even if ill-advised, someone will be short-sighted and connect things that ought not be connected...... I'm guessing wiring the radio to the electronics in the engine probably saved 25-30$ over another design that would have avoided that issue.

It probably makes on-board diagnostics easier too, having all the electionics integrated.

• Eric M Russell (12/22/2015)

Remotely hacking another driver's Bluetooth component system is a way cooler and less violent way to express road rage than pulling out a handgun. 🙂

Way cooler...but potentially more explosive!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply