Handling complex update

• I have a table to that is updated from a history table. The update happens because on a join of tables linked by patient id and order number shown below. In a perfect world this works.

update

pharm.dbo.cms_dcmedorderimport

set cms_dcmedorderimport.rxno =

h.rxno,

cms_dcmedorderimport.rono =

h.rono

from rx..hrxs h

where cms_dcmedorderimport.cms_order_number =

h.orderid

and cms_dcmedorderimport.patientid = h.patid

Now the complex part, and orderid and a patient id are only unique within a group of locations. Both of the tables ablove have a 3rd field which is a facility id which joins to a facility table. And since some of these patients can move around within a location there is no 1 to 1 match for the facility id, just that the facility is part of that contract.

On the facility table there is a contractid if which several facilities will belong to. So I need my update where clause to also include to make sure that the orderid and patientid for the first table (cms_dcmedorderimport) link to the hrxs table and that for both tables the contractid would be the same

• A little hard to help you. It would help if you could provide the DDL for the tables, sample data that is representative (made up) of your actual data, expected results based on this data.

As this appears to be medical related, I will emphasize using data that you make up but is representative of your problem.

If you need some help with this request, please read the first article in my signature block regarding asking for assistance.

• No problem I get the HIPPA world.

patient table

patid

facid

hrxs table

patid

facid

rxno

orderid

facilities table

facid

contractid

in patients you could have

patid facid

122 100

122 234

facilities

facid contract

122 OKL

234 MIC

100 OKL

HRXS

patid facid orderid rxno

122 122 100 555

122 234 100 444

update

pharm.dbo.cms_dcmedorderimport

set cms_dcmedorderimport.rxno =

h.rxno,

cms_dcmedorderimport.rono =

h.rono

from rx..hrxs h

where cms_dcmedorderimport.cms_order_number =

h.orderid

and cms_dcmedorderimport.patientid = h.patid

• Please read the article I suggested. Unless I want to take the time to write CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements, there really isn't much in your latest post that I can use directly.

• If I've pieced this all together it looks like you want update a table using orderid and patientid however this give erroneous results due to the fact that combination (orderid/patientid) is only unique under a facilityid. In addition the facilityid has it's own issues because a patient could be moved to other facilities under a contractid.

So you couldn't you add the contractid to both your dcmedorderimport and hrxs tables, thereby updating the correct records?

If that's not a possibility, then you could cross join the facilities table to itself where the contractids are equal get all valid intracontract facility move combinations and add that table to your update statement.

With little to go on in the way of table structures and no final values of what you're expecting from your update statement; this is what I came up with.

------------------------------------------------- setup

DECLARE @patient TABLE

(

patid INT

,facid INT

)

INSERT INTO @patient (patid, facid)

SELECT 122, 100

UNION ALL

SELECT 122, 234

DECLARE @facilities TABLE

(

facid INT

,contractid VARCHAR(30)

)

INSERT INTO @facilities (facid, contractid)

SELECT 122, 'OKL'

UNION ALL

SELECT 234, 'MIC'

UNION ALL

SELECT 100, 'OKL'

DECLARE @dcmorderimport TABLE

(

orderid INT

,patid INT

,facid INT

,rxno INT

,rono INT

)

INSERT INTO @dcmorderimport (patid, facid, orderid, rxno, rono)

SELECT 122, 100, 100, 222, 100 --patient 122 @ facility 100 (part of contract 'okl') order 100 prescription number 222 room number 100

UNION ALL

SELECT 122, 234, 100, 333, 102 --patient 122 @ facility 234 order 100 presecription number 333 room number 102

DECLARE @hrxs TABLE

(

patid INT

,facid INT

,rxno INT

,orderid INT

,rono INT

)

INSERT INTO @hrxs (patid, facid, orderid, rxno, rono)

SELECT 122, 122, 100, 555, 101 --change facility to 122 change roomnumber to 101 and rxno to 555 in reference to dcorderimport

UNION ALL

SELECT 122, 234, 100, 444, 101 --change roomnumber to 101 and rxno to 444 in reference to dcorderimport

----------------------------------------------Work

SELECT

FROM

@dcmorderimport -- initial values

;WITH allfacilitiespercontractxreference(contractid,facid1,facid2)

AS (SELECT a.contractid,

a.facid AS facid1,

b.facid AS facid2

FROM @facilities a

CROSS JOIN @facilities b

WHERE a.contractid = b.contractid)

UPDATE @dcmorderimport

SET rxno = h.rxno,

rono = h.rono,

facid = h.facid --Update to new facid?

FROM @dcmorderimport a

JOIN @hrxs h

ON a.orderid = h.orderid

AND a.patid = h.patid

JOIN allfacilitiespercontractxreference facxref

ON facxref.facid1 = h.facid

AND facxref.facid2 = a.facid

SELECT

FROM

@dcmorderimport -- updated values

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply