Hard Drive Config

• I am setting up new server and am a little confused in my research of HD configuration. My main question is, is it recommended to have the Trans Logs and DB logs (ldf) on separate spindles or can they be on the same? Do Trans Logs and ldf logs write concurrently or one after the other? My plan is to configure it as follows: C:\ Raid 1, Data (Raid 10), Logs (Trans & .ldf) Raid 10, TempDB (Raid 1), Local Backups (Raid 10). Does that make sense or should I separate the Trans & .ldf files onto separate raid configs. Thanks

• The transaction log files are the ldf files (Assuming normal convention of file extension). So your question is a bit confusing. Can you clarify what makes you think they are different things?

Mike John

• I thought the .mdf and .ldf were database files and that the Transaction files were a different file. Have been saving the Trans files to a different location than the .mdf and .ldf files. Also the Trans are only kept for a week before they are deleted where as the .ldf seems to same the size. I am possibly very confused. Thanks for your help.

• Data files as .mdf for primary and .ndf for secondary. SQL Server only uses the transaction log and the files are .ldf.

Data files are organized in filegroups, and log files don't belong to any filegroup.

You can read more about the transaction log in a comprehensive way in here: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/73776/

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply