Hardware Sizing

• Dear Experts,

Can someone please help me out defining hardware sizing for MSSQL server 2008 database or direct me some tool which will help me out in the same.

Current DB size - 800GB

Expected size after 3 years - 2.5TB

Current concurrent user connections – 500

Expected concurrent user connections – 2500

- SAMJI
    If you marry one they will fight with you, If you marry 2 they will fight for you 🙂

• Sorry but you provided less information than needed to be able to provide an answer....

Have a look at: http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/per/hardware_planning_p1.aspx

You'll quickly see this is not a straight forward answer...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Yesterday I encountered a nice list that will be a very good starting point:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cindygross/archive/2011/03/10/general-hardware-os-network-guidelines-for-a-sql-box.aspx

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Hi Henrico Bekker,

You are right and thank you for the link.

I understand it is not straight forward to provide answer for this requirement. I just wanted to check approximate CPU and physical Memory to meet the above requirement.

I am wondering if someone has come across similar data size and user base, I will be grateful if they can provide Physical memory size and CUP that they are using. (I also understand that sizing depends on many other factors)

I am confident of managing rest.

- SAMJI
    If you marry one they will fight with you, If you marry 2 they will fight for you 🙂

• Even if someone has exactly the same size db's as you, your IO's may be way different than theirs, and would be a terrible baseline to follow.

You will have to do some testing, loading, imitating real scenario's and determine which configuration will be optimal for your solution, and stand the test of time over the next 3-5 years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply