HD Swap and Full-text Search Disabled

• The company I am contracting for just brought in an outside tech to upgrade the hard drive on the server. After the upgrade some apps accessing the DB could not return results. All the queries that broke are ones doing a full-text search. When I look at the tables in Enterprise Manager I can see the full-text feature is disabled. How do I restore this?

Are there any dangers with restarting this feature?

I also have discovered that all emails from Exchange are being flagged as spam. Looks related to the MS Search Service...

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Check to see if Microsoft search is still installed, if not repair your install make sure you do backup before, then enable Fulltext service and populate the Microsoft search catalog because if you don't you will not get any search results.  I am assuming you know the Microsoft search service is a separate install.  Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thank you for the advice Gift. The problem was with the catalogs. Since the old HD was copied to the new one it seems that the files for the catalog either didn't make it or were found to be corrupt and deleted by the service. I'm still not sure which.

Creating new catalog files and populating them from within Enterprise Manager did the trick.

It is shocking how little technical information there is about this service. It's a mystery box with no direct interface or command line switches that I could find. Seems to me there should be a verbose or debugging mode for it so you can see if it's having problems and why. Alas, I am a Linux guy and am spoiled...

• Thank you for the advice Gift. The problem was with the catalogs. Since the old HD was copied to the new one it seems that the files for the catalog either didn't make it or were found to be corrupt and deleted by the service. I'm still not sure which.

Creating new catalog files and populating them from within Enterprise Manager did the trick.

It is shocking how little technical information there is about this service. It's a mystery box with no direct interface or command line switches that I could find. Seems to me there should be a verbose or debugging mode for it so you can see if it's having problems and why. Alas, I am a Linux guy and am spoiled...

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply