help

• I am getting the following 2 errors in the event viewer every day.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: MSSQLSERVER

Event Category: (2)

Event ID: 17055

Date:  10/12/2006

Time:  2:30:25 AM

User:  N/A

Computer: CPSVRACCT66

Description:

18204 :

BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Reporting Agents\Win32\Backup\BACKUP_20061012_023024/backup.dat' failed to create. Operating system error = 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 1c 47 00 00 10 00 00 00   .G......

0008: 0c 00 00 00 43 00 50 00   ....C.P.

0010: 53 00 56 00 52 00 41 00   S.V.R.A.

0018: 43 00 43 00 54 00 36 00   C.C.T.6.

0020: 36 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   6.......

===========================================================================================

Event Type: Error

Event Source: MSSQLSERVER

Event Category: (6)

Event ID: 17055

Date:  10/12/2006

Time:  2:30:25 AM

User:  N/A

Computer: CPSVRACCT66

Description:

3041 :

BACKUP failed to complete the command sp_prepexec;1

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: e1 0b 00 00 10 00 00 00   á.......

0008: 0c 00 00 00 43 00 50 00   ....C.P.

0010: 53 00 56 00 52 00 41 00   S.V.R.A.

0018: 43 00 43 00 54 00 36 00   C.C.T.6.

0020: 36 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   6.......

============================================================================================

here is 1 error in the sql server 2000 sp4 logs

source spid 72

BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Reporting Agents\Win32\Backup\BACKUP_20061012_023024/backup.dat' failed to create. Operating system error = 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).

============================================================================================

source backup

BACKUP failed to complete the command sp_prepexec;1

===========================================================================================

any thougths on how to fix this issue.  I am not sure when the proble first started happening.  All I know is I need to fix it.

Thanks

• looks like a network drive issue.  that's the same error I was seeing yesterday trying to access a backup on a shared drive.

Thank-you,
    David Russell
    Any Cloud, Any Database, Oracle since 1982

• by the way, it is much easier for people to read if you message actually says something about what you need "help" with... everyone here needs help.  thanks.

Thank-you,
    David Russell

• Sorry about that.  The thing is the file is not on an network share.  It is on our SQL server. all that is really on that server is sql databases.  It is trying to back up to c:\program files\common files\Symantic shared\reporting agents\win32\backup

I created the directory from reporting agents down. ensured it had the same permissions as all the other backup directorys that SQL server had on the d drive where most data is backed up.

• so, create a folder that includes everything in the path... in your original post you said it was the following:

'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Reporting Agents\Win32\Backup\BACKUP_20061012_023024/backup.dat'

and in this post, you stop with ...\backup.

I now suspect that it cannot find the \BACKUP_20061012_023024 portion of the path... and you're getting an OS error, 3, I think it was.

I would use a different path, or at a minimum, the "normal" (more or less) one of

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Backups...

I would not store it down the common files... symantec path.

You might want it to be on another drive, such as d:\backups\<dbname>

I usually have it create a separate directory (folder) for each database.

Thank-you,
    David Russell

• The Problem is I have no Idea what is throwing that error or where it is.  I have looked at sp_prepexec and it says internal.  I can not find what id the calling function or stored procedure or trigger or whatever.  How can I find out what is causing it.  It is not in our database maintenace. where else may it be

thanks

• Is this right?

"BACKUP_20061012_023024/backup.dat" or

Or do u want it to be:

"BACKUP_20061012_023024\backup.dat"

Just curious.

• I created the directory to this point only and gave all permissions nessary

c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\reporting agents\win32\backup\ is as far as I went.

• I would expect that the file name, "reporting agents" specifically is the problem.  To disprove this, try commenting out the long path name that you currently have and create a c:\backup directory and see if the backup runs successfully.  If it does suceed then the file name is the specific problem.  Change "reporting agents" to reportingagents, without the space.

Hope this helps,

John.

• Hi John. 

I guess I am a little green with SQL Server.  I have no Idea where to find the stored procedure that created this issue.  or for that matter what made this an issue.  Any hints on where to find the thng that is makeing sql server come up with that error

Thanks

• No, you can have spaces in file name, this isn't DOS 3.11.

The message indicates it cannot create the file.  It does not say why, just that the OS cannot do it.  Often this is permissions, but I will take you at your word that you checked that.

What you cannot have is a forward slash in the file name.  SQL Server backup is trying to create a file "BACKUP_20061012_023024/backup.dat" (note the "/" !) in the directory "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Reporting Agents\Win32\Backup\".  Either you intended to create "backup.dat" in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Reporting Agents\Win32\Backup\BACKUP_20061012_023024\", or you intended to create "BACKUP_20061012_023024_backup.dat" or "BACKUP_20061012_023024-backup.dat" or "BACKUP_20061012_023024 backup.dat" file. 

You need to go into either Symantec's sql jobs and fix this, or perhaps Symantec has a problem in their software.  But that filename definitely will not work.

Hope this helps

Mark

• sorry about that.  I manually typed the message.  it is actually a backslash \ not a /.  Slip of the finger.

• OK, no problem.  Since another poster had pointed it out, and you had not refuted it, I was trying to emphasize it.

Be sure the directory has proper permissions. The directory will need the permissions for the accounts the MSSQLSERVER and SQLSERVERAGENT are running under (check Services under Administrative Tools for which accounts these are).

The sp_prepexec system procedure works with sp_prepare and takes dynamic SQL and "prepares" it by checking syntax and temporarily compiling it.  sp_prepexec actually runs the compiled query.  This does indicate that the SQL actually comes from the Symantec product program. (just curious, what Symantec product uses SQL server database?)  It may be a bad parameter that is constructing this path, or you may need to go to Symantec support (good luck!).

Unfortunately, nothing in the error message indicates that it is any SQL procedure that is producing the SQL that has the error.  But perhaps this Symantec product put some stored procedures or jobs on the database system, you may want to search there.  If there is a database for the application, that would be the first place to look.  But I would also look in the msdn and master databases for procedures also.

Hope this helpss

Mark

• I thing that symantec antivirus corp 10 does not use sql server which I will have to research soon. and we also use veritas backup (symantec bought them out) but it uses an msde(I think this is the spelling) database and no issues on it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply