Help: Backup can not be performed on database ''master''. This sub task is ignored.

• How do I solve the following problem when I try to backup master's transaction log, another sqlserver (same version 8)that is running does not have this problem.

Backup can not be performed on database 'master'. This sub task is ignored.

• The recovery model of master is simple, you will not be able to backup the trans logs.

• andrew is right... you cannot perform log backups for the master database. it can only be set to simple. 

• well another sqlserver the master is set to full and the transaction log backup does not fail, please explain that?

• Have you ever restored a log backup of Master?

Greg

• no

• That was interesting.

I believe MASTER is usually set to SIMPLE on default.  I've never heard of any argument for setting it to FULL logging, but apparently you can.

SIMPLE is another term for the old Truncate on Checkpoint option.  Since this option constantly overwrites the existing log file, you are not guaranteed to have all the transactions since the last FULL backup.  Microsoft wisely prevents you from trying to make incomplete transaction log backups while in this mode.  If you try it in a Maintenance plan, the Sql Agent will throw an error and calmly contine on with the next database in the job list.

If you want to back it up 'like the other server', you've probably set it to FULL by now.  I've never tried to restore logs to a Master database, so I can't verify whether it is allowed. 

• http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q285288

MORE INFORMATION

The master database should be kept as the default in the Simple Recovery model. You must create a separate maintenance plan for the master database and not backup the transaction log in the maintenance plan. Create additional maintenance plans as needed for other databases for which you want to backup the transaction log.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply