HELP: Downgrading from SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition (trial) to R2 Web Edition (licensed)

• Hi SQL gurus!

I've installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition (trial version; showing as SQL Server 10.50.1600) about six months ago and it is about to expire on my production server.

I've recently purchased the SQL Server 2008 R2 Web edition as we believe this is version enough for our requirements.

There is a live database that exist at the moment and we would like this to be moved across seamlessly to the Web edition. Our system integrator will deal with this last bit but my concern is on how to perform this SQL version 'downgrade'.

I was able to install this SQL 2008 Enterprise edition side by side with SQL Express 2005 on this same server without any problem

Can I just run the setup.exe from the SQL 2008 R2 Web edition install DVD and just specify another directory (ie side by side install?)

Or, do I have to uninstall the SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition and install the 2008 R2 Web Edition. Do we need to backup and restore the master database or any databases aside ffrom the production database?

Or is there a better way?

I would appreciate any thoughts, links, tips that anyone might have.

Cheers

Sydneydude

• you cant 'hot' downgrade from enterprise

you would need to install another instance with the web edition and migrate the DB, either through backups (best option) or however you feel like doing it

edit:

sorry, didn't read the full post.

YES, you need to do a side-by-side install, you don't need to uninstall the enterprise edition prior to installing the web edition, but the web edition will need to be a named instance IF the enterprise edition is not one already.

--
    Thiago Dantas
    @DantHimself

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply