Help: How to restore sql 2000 database into sql 2005

• Hi!

Please help me how to restore sql 2000 DB to sql 2005 which is on another computer?

• jul3son (4/10/2008)

Hi!

Please help me how to restore sql 2000 DB to sql 2005 which is on another computer?

Take a backup of the 2000 database if you do not already have it). Copy the backup file to the 2005 server or onto a network share that the SQL Server 2005 server can see (the sql server agent user). Restore the database on the 2005 from the backup file.

(there are a few other things that you need to consider, such as logins)

Also, note that the restored database will be in compatibility mode 80 (you can change that after you read on it 🙂

Is this a production database? Have you tried to do any of the above steps? Have you experienced any problems with these?

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• I would recommend you to run sp_updatestats stored procedure after restoring the database. Also, if there were full-text indexes you will need to recreate them on the new server.

• if u have troubles with orphan users u can use this sp

sp_change_users_login 'update_one', 'user', 'user'

change user and user into the user of the database!

• Hi!!!

Thank you guys to all your help I was able to restore the backup... I copy the SQl database 2000 backup to another computer which is running on SQL server 2005 and then I created a database which is the same database filename within sql 2000 and then right click on the newly created database and choose All Task and then Restore Database then locate the backup file from device and then in options menu choose overwrite existing database...

Again thank you...

• MS SQL Server is capable of restoring to a non-existing database.

• I am having problems with UID please advised.

• jul3son (4/17/2008)

I am having problems with UID please advised.

First run

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Report'

This will tell you which users got out of sync. After that you can add the relevant login and use sp_change_users_login to fix the problems. If you search the forum here for "sp_change_users_login" you will get plenty of samples 🙂

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• use SSIS package to move logins, jobs and sysmessages, works great.

• You can use sp_change_users_login autofix or update option 🙂

• Use the scripts mentioned in the following Ms-KB246133: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246133/

Once you executed this script, you will able to copy logins from SQL server 2000 to SQL Server 2005.

Once you execute the script, then execute the following scripts on your source instance:

EXEC sp_help_revlogin

The output of the above script is the list of logins on your SQL 2000 instance. Copy the required login and execute the same on your SQL 2005 instance.

To set the compatibility mode to SQL Server 2005, execute the following command on your SQL 2005 instance.

exec sp_dbcmptlevel @database_name, 90 -- where @database_name is the database you migrated --from SQL Server 2000

Let us know, if this helps...

Thanks & Regards,
    Sudeepta.
    http://twitter.com/skganguly

• just migrate the databases from 2000 to 2005.

i guess this link will show you the step-by-step process.

http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/MS-SQL-Server/Moving-Data-from-SQL-Server-2000-to-SQL-Server-2005/1/ (step-by-step migration of database from 2000-2005)

I'm i right?

• hi,

use SSIS to move a database from 2000 to 2005. and also u use this for other tasks to backup, transfer logins, jobs etc.

Goodluck

Manjunath

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply