HELP!! Linked server with informix

• Hi, I'm trying to set up a linked server in sql server 2000 (in both win2k an NT) with informix. I've tried using the informix cli driver to ODBC and the OLE DB driver provided by IBM, but I always get errors.

When I try to set the linked server with ODBC the error is : 7399 , It says that the provider did not give any information about the error (..??...) I tested the DSN with the dbping tool and it works fine. I also testet it linking tables with access and also works.

When I try to set up the server using OLE DB, the erro message is Error: 7303 Could not initialize data source object of OLE DB provider "ifxoledbc".OLEDB erro trace [OLE/DB Provider 'Ifxoledbc' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80040e21: [PROPID=unknown PROPERTY ID VALUE = " ....  and so on.....

In both machines, sql server have sp3, the latest MDAC.

The curious thing is that in another machine running windows NT (it's almost a twin of the trouble machine) the linked server works fine and I even can run querys.

I'm desperate!! could anybody help me please!!!!!!!!!!

• Informix is a bit of a beast to work with but I have got it working on Win2K using SQL2K.  We use the Microsoft OLE DB for ODBC drivers on the SQL side and the Informix-CLI 2.5(32 bit) driver to connect to Informix 7.  I believe we got the same error messages you did trying to use the OLE DB provider and not going to the ODBC.

Make sure your setnet settings are correct and you're passing through a valid security account.

• My first choise was to use Informix-CLI 2.5(32 bit), in fact, it's working fine in one NT server, but in the other server it doesn't work. The setnet settings are the same in both machines, I tested it by linking tables in MS Access and I can see the data on the Informix Tables.

I've also tried to set the security in different ways on the linked server configuration, but any of them works. I also tried different combinations of the Provider Settings, like Allow In Process, etc, but any of that seems to work.

I'm starting to think that may be a difference in the SP's applied on the servers that might be causing my problem.

But I'm not sure if the problem is in the Informix Driver, the Sql server or in Windows itself....

• I doubt it's the service packs.

I found one possible thread http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=ucxhJsdIBHA.1340%40tkmsftngp04&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3DProvider%2B%27Ifxoledbc%27%2BIDBInitialize%253A%253AInitialize%2Breturned%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg

Did you reboot the server after installing and configuring Informix drivers?  I do remember that bit me once although I can't remember the error I got.

• Yes, I reboot the server after the configuration was made.

I create the linked server the same way that it's shown in the link you posted, but the same error apears That's why I think it might be a SP problem.... How do I check which SP's are installed on a machine?

I also think it might be a provider configuration, or a server option configuration, although i've tested all of them

Thanks!

• Estoy seguro que si instalas un servidor SQL-Server en XP y repites los mismos pasos que has hecho, si te funcionará. El problema son algunos SP's que le hacen falta al NT, lamentablemente aún no he detectado cuales son exactamente, ya que aún no puedo vincular un servidor sql con informix en un Win NT, unicamente en Win XP.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply