Help me in istalling SS2005 Developer version:unsure:

• Hi,

I am installing the SQL Server 2005 developer edition on my machine. Among the installation steps, I am being asked to select an instance name either default or a named instance. My sole aim to install developer edition is to practise both programming and administrative work.

Can naybody help me what shall I select and what is the difference between default and named instance:unsure:

• There is no rule about default instance or named instance because some companies install all as named instance, I have 2005 as default instance and 2008 as named instance.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks Peddie,

I was just wondering if I can install the developer edition as a default instance and later a Standard edition as a named instance. Is this possible ?

I have just started to learn about SQL Server 2005 hence have these queries in my mind. I would really appreciate if you can bear my queries and answer me.

Thanks again

Talha

• Yes there will be no problems however you cannot deploy reports developed in the developer edition in standard because the developer edition is enterprise edition with no deployment restrictions.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks Peddie,

This really helps

• I am glad I could help so install the standard and develop in it so you could deploy in it or use the developer edition and deploy in enterprise edition. You should also know ETL(extraction transformation and loading) in SSIS is also limited in the standard edition.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply