help need

• hi,

i have table with following feilds

ProgramId ProgramType AccountName ProgramName ProgramBudget ProgramStatus

I need to write a search query to generate a report where search criteria will be (ProgramType=1,2,3 or All of above),(AccountName=a,b,c or All of above),(ProgramStatus=y,n or all of above)

any clues,

thnx in advance

sudheer.

Regards,
    Sudheer 

My Blog

• If I understand, you are getting the criteria from a list box from a screen.

My suggestion is:

create procedure [dbo].[query] @ProgramType char(1), @AccountName char(1), @ProgramStatus char(1)

as

select ProgramId ProgramType AccountName ProgramName ProgramBudget ProgramStatus

from <table>

where ProgramType like @ProgramType

and AccountName like @AccountName

and ProgramStatus like @ProgramStatus

If in your list box you make the ALL selection have a value of % then it will act as a wildcard in the stored procedure.

Jeremy

• I am assuming you are attempting to write a search criteria sort of query. I would recommend breaking into modular queries, with sets of stored procedures that handle each set of conditions. This way, the query plans will be stored that are optimized for each condition, not just the first set of parameters issued to a single procedure. Example:

CREATE PROC dbo.GetPrograms

@ProgramType INT = NULL
    , @AccountName CHAR(1) = NULL
    , @ProgramStatus BIT = NULL

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

IF @ProgramType IS NULL BEGIN
    IF @AccountName IS NULL BEGIN
    IF @ProgramStatus IS NULL BEGIN
    EXEC GetPrograms;2
    END
    ELSE BEGIN
    EXEC GetPrograms;3 @ProgramStatus
    END
    END
    ELSE BEGIN
    IF @ProgramStatus IS NULL BEGIN
    EXEC GetPrograms;5 @AccountName
    END
    ELSE BEGIN
    EXEC GetPrograms;4 @AccountName , @ProgramStatus
    END
    -- Rest of switch logic here...

SET NOCOUNT OFF
    GO

CREATE PROC dbo.GetPrograms;2
    AS

SET NOCOUNT ON
    SELECT ProgramId , ProgramType , AccountName ProgramName , ProgramBudget , ProgramStatus
    FROM Program
    SET NOCOUNT OFF
    GO

CREATE PROC dbo.GetPrograms;3

@ProgramStatus BIT

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

SELECT ProgramId , ProgramType , AccountName , ProgramName , ProgramBudget , ProgramStatus
    FROM Program
    WHERE ProgramStatus = @ProgramStatus

SET NOCOUNT OFF
    GO

-- Rest of specialized procedures here
    -- Forinstance, GetPrograms;4 , GetPrograms;5, etc.

Advantages of this approach:

1) All procedures can be dropped in a single command (i.e. DROP PROC GetPrograms)

2) The code is modular, and changes in a single "subprocedure" will only force a recompile of that subprocedure alone.

3) All queries will have optimized execution plans, since query plan will be compiled for each subprocedure.

4) All switching logic is identified at the top of the procedure, making it easy to identify which subprocedure is handling which unique set of parameters.

5) Stored procedures can be called implicitly (relying on switching logic in main procedure, or explicitly. For example, calling EXEC GetPrograms @ProgramStatus=1 , @AccountName='A' will implicitly call GetPrograms;4, however, this subprocedure can also be called explicitly: EXEC GetPrograms;4 @AccountName='A' , ProgramStatus=1

6) No need for tens or hundreds of separate stored procedure names for essentially the same action...

This approach was taken from the idea of overloaded methods in common object-oriented programming techniques, and works well in many common scenarios. It can be a bit more code at first, but the approach is very modular, easy to maintain and modify, and the resulting SQL is usually simpler and more optimized than one giant complex statement.

Hope this gives you some ideas...

Jay

Edited by - jpipes on 05/20/2003 07:56:14 AM

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply