Help! Need to bring back old Master.mdf

• Had to re-install MSSQL 2K following disaster.  Both old and new install are at 8.00.2040

Segue Silk stored all its info in master.mdf, I have copy of old master.mdf file.

Can I stop MSSQL and overlay new master.mdf with old master.mdf and restart MSSQL?

Thanks -- Gary 

• no need;

you can simply insert these user tables back into the current master; you can use either DTS to copy the tables, or sql commands

I assume you restored or attached the previous database as the name "oldmaster" for the db:

for each of the tables:

SELECT X.* INTO MASTER.DBO.SEQUESILKTABLE1  FROM  OLDMASTER.DBO.SEQUESILKTABLE1 X

SELECT X.* INTO MASTER.DBO.SEQUESILKTABLE2  FROM  OLDMASTER.DBO.SEQUESILKTABLE2 X

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks Lowell - turned out my master log isn't usable.  We are going to go with the new install as is.

Great idea though!

Gary

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply