Help needed with code

• I have attached all the relevant documents which are being used for this query. Would that be enough ?

• What format do you want me to convert the spreadsheets then ?

• pwalter83 (12/22/2010)

What format do you want me to convert the spreadsheets then ?

CREATE TABLE <YourTableName> (Your Column list);

ALTER TABLE to show PK/FK/UQ constraints.

CREATE INDEX to show any indexes on the table.

INSERT INTO <YourTableName> sample data

repeat for all involved tables.

Test all of these yourself to ensure that they actually do run and set things up properly.

Then, for the sample data provided, show the expected results.

The easier it is for us (remember - we're unpaid volunteers helping out here!) to just copy/paste an environment that has everything that we need, the faster we can work on it and get something (that has been TESTED against your sample data) out to you.

Thanks for trying! I know you're getting frustrated by it all, but since we're not being paid, why should we jump through the hoops just to help you out? Meet us half way, with what is asked for, and you'll get a lot of people that will help out. (There are a lot of people that read nearly every single post, but they also refuse to help out if the sample data isn't readily consumable (cut-and-paste) into SSMS to be able to start working immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if once you post the data this way, if several others jump in with suggestions!)

Edit: Also, please use the code="sql" IFCode shortcut to wrap around your code. It's in the box to the left of the window that you type all of this stuff in.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• pwalter83 (12/22/2010)

I have attached all the relevant documents which are being used for this query. Would that be enough ?

Here's a short SQL puzzle for you:

SELECT @answer = result FROM "Did you actually read the article/link we asked you to read?"

SELECT

CASE

WHEN @answer = "yes" THEN "What specifically is unclear so you can't follow it?"

WHEN @answer = "no" THEN "Is there any specific reason for you not to read that article/link?"

ELSE "Please make a decision."

END

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Paul,

it seems like you're not really interested in helping us help you.

Instead of providing the information we asked for multiple times you decide to open new threads with the very same incomplete information (for anyone who's interested: just check the post history...).

This issue you brought up about a week ago could have been resolved almost immediately with just a little effort on your side (read an article and react accordingly).

Before I start seeing some kind of parallelism to feeding a troll I'm going to leave this thread for someone else.

Side note: As a last resort you could always hire a consultant to fix the issue for you. That person would at least be able to see the table structure and some sample data in a ready to use format.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Hi Wayne,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. The question I want to ask is-

I need to assign a value to a column called 'tradelane' for each unique BL_ID in the NCV_BL_DHL_TEMP

table. This column will be part of a newly created table called- DHL_TEMP

Please find the the table structure for the 2 tables that I am using below along with the sample data code:

First one is the DHL_TRADE_ASSIGNMENT table-

-----------------------------------------------------------------

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[DHL_TRADE_ASSIGNMENT](

[COUNTRY_CD] [nvarchar](20) NOT NULL,

[COUNTRY_DSC] [nvarchar](50) NULL,

[REGION_TRADE] [nvarchar](50) NULL,

[SUB_REGION] [nvarchar](50) NULL,

UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED

(

[COUNTRY_CD] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sample data for DHL_TRADE_ASSIGNMENT-

insert into DHL_TRADE_ASSIGNMENT

values('BR', 'Brazil', 'AMLA', 'ECSA');

values('TR', 'Turkey', 'EMA', 'EAST MED');

values('ES', 'SPAIN', 'EURO MED', 'EURO MED');

values('AT', 'AUSTRIA', 'EURO NC', 'EURO NC');

values('AU', 'Australia', 'SPAC', 'SPAC');

values('IN', 'India', 'ASPA', 'ASPA');

values('RO', 'Romania', 'BLACK SEA', 'BLACK SEA');

values('CA', 'Canada', 'AMNO', 'AMNO');

values('AG', 'Antigua', 'AMLA', 'NCSA');

values('IS', 'Iceland', 'EURO NC', 'OTHERS EURO');

values('EC', 'EC', 'AMLA', 'WCSA');

values('CN', 'China', 'ASPA', 'ASPA');

values('GB', 'Great Britain', 'EURO NC', 'EURO NC');

---------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd table- NCV_BL_DHL_TEMP

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[NCV_BL_DHL_TEMP](

[BL_ID] [decimal](10, 0) NOT NULL,

[BL_NUM] [nvarchar](13) NULL,

[CP_GROUP_CD] [nvarchar](30) NULL,

[POL_COUNTRY_CD] [nvarchar](2) NULL,

[POD_COUNTRY_CD] [nvarchar](2) NULL,

[SAISAN_VESSEL_CD] [nvarchar](6) NULL,

[SAISAN_VOYAGE_CD] [nvarchar](6) NULL,

[SAISAN_LEG_CD] [nvarchar](1) NULL,

[DEPART_ACTUAL_DT] [datetime] NULL,

[TEU] [decimal](10, 0) NULL,

PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[BL_ID] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sample data for NCV_BL_DHL_TEMP-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

insert into NCV_BL_DHL_TEMP

values('6525833', 'MAA012330', 'SAIMA', 'IN', 'GB', 'HCMB', '0083W', 'W', '03-05-2010', '2');

values('7102907', 'SH8634919', 'AL_FILTER', 'GB', 'IN', 'XYKOU', '0058W', 'W', '06-05-2010', '2');

values('6117626', 'GLA007219', 'HANKYU', 'AU', 'AT', 'HANB', '01E', 'E', '02-02-2010', '1');

values('5772271', 'BLR009972', 'TTP_TECHNOLOGIE', 'AT', 'AU', 'HJCH', '0036W', 'W', '04-05-2010', '1');

values('8235799', 'NTG100115', 'SHIPCO', 'ES', 'TR', 'YMUNS', '12W', 'W', '02-06-2009', '2');

values('6137996', 'FXT128719', 'FELIANCE_FIBRES', 'TR', 'ES', 'CNTSNG', '258E', 'E', '01-09-2010', '4');

values('6168340', 'ANR490955', 'DHL_DANZAS', 'BR', 'CA', 'CSGNZU', '006E', 'E', '02-08-2010', '2');

values('6168346', 'ANR440555', 'DHL_DANZAS', 'CA', 'BR', 'CSGWZU', '006E', 'E', '02-01-2008', '2');

values('6581123', 'HK1016941', 'OKI', 'CN', 'GB', 'YPULT', '03W', 'W', '02-02-2007', '2');

values('6581127', 'HK5010911', 'KOK', 'AG', 'IS', 'YMULT', '03W', 'W', '04-06-2008', '2');

values('6581123', 'HD1086941', 'KPP', 'IS', 'AG', 'YKULT', '03W', 'W', '02-05-2009', '2');

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This sample code would help you-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

select distinct a.BL_ID,a.POL_COUNTRY_CD,a.POD_COUNTRY_CD,b.region_trade as POL_REGIONTRADE, c.region_trade as POD_REGIONTRADE,

b.Sub_Region as POL_SUBREGION, c.Sub_Region as POD_SUBREGION

from NCV_BL_DHL_TEMP a

INNER JOIN

DHL_TRADE_ASSIGNMENT b

on a.POL_COUNTRY_CD = ltrim(rtrim(substring(b.COUNTRY_CD,1,2)))

INNER JOIN DHL_TRADE_ASSIGNMENT c

on a.POD_COUNTRY_CD = ltrim(rtrim(substring(c.COUNTRY_CD,1,2)))

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tradelane would be defined based on the scenario as given in the attached. I hope this would really help anyone to find a solution to the problem I am facing. Any help would be a[ppreciated. Thanks a lot for your time.

Kind Regards,

Paul

• LutzM (12/22/2010)

Before I start seeing some kind of parallelism to feeding a troll I'm going to leave this thread for someone else.

Now before you teach me some sql code posting etiquettes, could you learn some manners yourself and not write anything which is irrelevant. I am NOT begging you to give me a solution. You have the option to look away and mind your own business if you are not interested.

So do yourself some good, find some nice books and learn some etiquettes yourself.

• That is much much better, but not quite complete

Now please provide the DDL for DHL_TEMP & a sample of what you would like to see in there, based on your input data.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Hi Phil,

Thanks a lot for your reply. The DHL_TEMP table would include the value for the Tradelane per BL_ID. Please find the table structure for the DHL_TEMP table below:

-----------------------------------------------------------

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[DHL_TEMP](

[BL_ID] [decimal](10, 0) NOT NULL,

[DEPART_ACTUAL_DT] [datetime] NULL,

[TEU] [decimal](10, 0) NULL,

[TRADELANE] [nvarchar](50) NULL,

PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[BL_ID] ASC

) ON [PRIMARY]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sample data should be something like:

BL_ID- 6525833

DEPART_ACTUAL_DT- 03-05-2010

TEU- 2

TRADELANE- ASPA to EURO NC

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this helpful ?

• Hi paul

I think You need to create a lookup table to solve your issue

I have attached a excel sheet that contain the structure of your lookup table and the sample data for each possible condition that define the column tradelane and a text file that contains the query

Try it out

Hope this will help you.

Incase any query let me know.

Regards

Rashmi

• Thanks again Rashmi....it really feels awkward to ask you everytime now as you must also be busy at your work as well. Actually I am not an expert at SQL and this new project that I am working on is different from what I have been doing in the past.

Even your last solution was correct but then I felt it would'nt work in case more data needs to be added in the table.

I will give your query a shot and get back to you in case I get stuck somewhere.

Thank you again for your timely help.

Warm Regards,

Paul

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply