Help!...Stored Procedure with invalid cache?

• I have a long, complex stored procedure that uses many declared table variables to hold intermediate results.  The procedure takes userid as a parameter and then based on the userid, looks up how much data to process (ex. userid can be associated with 1 account or many accounts).  My problem is that the procedure is no running endlessly for many accounts. (ex. 200 accounts should be < 20 secs, I am killing process after minutes)  I have also seen the read count at 80 million and growing when it should only be 1 million.  I have tried dropping and recreating the procedure and executing with recompile without any success.  However when I change one of the declared table variables to a temp table the procedure runs < 20 secs.  Later I changed the code back to use a declared table variable and it still runs < 20 secs.

Can anyone explain what might be happening or what I should look at to get more information?  I am able to workaround the problem but this happens sporadically with other procedures (using same userid parameter to lookup #accounts to process) and I would love to get to the underlying cause.

Thank you.

• It would be much easier to help if you posted the code.  I have seen a similar problem in SQL 7 where an sp runs quickly then starts to hang and just making a change and re-saving the sp has returned it to faster execution.  I have not been able to determine the reason for this behavior.  I also have an sp that hangs when run from an asp page, but runs in less than 10 seconds in QA. 

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply