Help with Dataflow task

• I have A storedprocedure from where i get some columns which is my "OLEDB source"

Source(

Modelcode
    ,Carrier
    ,Description
    ,Manufacterer
    )

I use these columns to insert into Destination table which has identity column

Table A
    (
    ID identity(1,1)
    ,Carrier
    ,Description
    ,Manufacterer
    )

I need to use the "Model Code" to do a look up to get ModelKey to Insert into "Reference table" and also need "ID" column from Table A.

So my another Reference table "Xref" table has column like below.

XREf
    (
    ID,
    ModelKey
    )

Thing is I need to do all these in same Dataflow task. Can i do it?

If so how?

• komal145 - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 1:35 PM

I have A storedprocedure from where i get some columns which is my "OLEDB source"

Source(

Modelcode
    ,Carrier
    ,Description
    ,Manufacterer
    )

I use these columns to insert into Destination table which has identity column

Table A
    (
    ID identity(1,1)
    ,Carrier
    ,Description
    ,Manufacterer
    )

I need to use the "Model Code" to do a look up to get ModelKey to Insert into "Reference table" and also need "ID" column from Table A.

So my another Reference table "Xref" table has column like below.

XREf
    (
    ID,
    ModelKey
    )

Thing is I need to do all these in same Dataflow task. Can i do it?

If so how?

I can't think of a way of doing this in a single DF. This data model does not feel right to me.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Is there any other way to get the tables ?

• Why does it have to be a single data flow?

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• komal145 - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:07 PM

Is there any other way to get the tables ?

Add a ModelKey column to your Destination table.
    Add a lookup in your data flow to add the ModelKey & populate it in the Destination table.
    Run a proc after your insert to do an 'INSERT WHERE NOT EXISTS()' from Destination table to XRef table to add the new Id, ModelKey combinations.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• What i was trying to do is get the Modelcode (from storedprocedure) as we execute the storedprocedure to enter the value to Table A. Use this "Modelcode" to do look up on a another tbale to get "modelkey" and insert "Modelkey" and "ID" both into Xref table.   Here i wanted to do in single Dataflow as we are executing Storedproc , and getting value modelcode.I sthere any way we use this modelcode when it runs single time.

• Phil Parkin - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:15 PM

komal145 - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:07 PM

Is there any other way to get the tables ?

Add a ModelKey column to your Destination table.
    Add a lookup in your data flow to add the ModelKey & populate it in the Destination table.
    Run a proc after your insert to do an 'INSERT WHERE NOT EXISTS()' from Destination table to XRef table to add the new Id, ModelKey combinations.

Thing is I cannot change/Modeify table "TABLE A" which is my destination.

What i was trying to do is get the Modelcode (from storedprocedure) as we execute the storedprocedure to enter the value to Table A. Use this "Modelcode" to do look up on a another tbale to get "modelkey" and insert "Modelkey" and "ID" both into Xref table.   Here i wanted to do in single Dataflow as we are executing Storedproc , and getting value modelcode.I sthere any way we use this modelcode when it runs single time.

• komal145 - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 2:26 PM

Thing is I cannot change/Modeify table "TABLE A" which is my destination.

What i was trying to do is get the Modelcode (from storedprocedure) as we execute the storedprocedure to enter the value to Table A. Use this "Modelcode" to do look up on a another tbale to get "modelkey" and insert "Modelkey" and "ID" both into Xref table.   Here i wanted to do in single Dataflow as we are executing Storedproc , and getting value modelcode.I sthere any way we use this modelcode when it runs single time.

Not that I can think of.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply