Help with Datetime field ...Please help!

• Hi

I am working with a sql server 2000 db table that has two columns (fromdate and todate) in datatime datatype.  These fields are populated using a .net web application.  Also the two fields are not required by user and whenever the user leave them blank I automatically assign '1/1/1800' as a value to avoid getting errors.  And when ever the user retrieves values from those two columns I check to see if its '1/1/1800' and set the appropriate fields to blank.  The above method work fine, but here's my question.

Is there a better way to do this?  I tried assign a null value at first instead of putting '1/1/1800' value on my stored procedure whenever the user leave the fields blank but when I try to check for null on the data retrieval procedure it always fails here's the sql code on the procedure:

ALTER PROCEDURE

dbo.sptest

(

@STID uniqueidentifier,

@AppID uniqueidentifier

)

AS

declare

@FromDate datetime

set

@FromDate =

(SELECT FromDate

FROM StuTeach

WHERE StuTeachID = @STID AND

AppID = @AppID)

IF

(@FromDate = NULL)

SET @FromDate = '1/1/1900'

print

'fromdate'

print @FromDate

It seems like the @FromDate variable ignores the null check even though the colum is NULL on the db.  How do I make @FromDate return NULL instead of not returning anything.  Or why is the IF statement failing? 

Any code help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance and I look forward to your response.

Dinesh

• 1st, back in version 7 (I believe) the powers that be decided that you can't say x = null instead you have to say x IS NULL (stupid I think).

As for the other issue, you could just have your table allow the date fields to be null.

• See SQL Server Central's most popular article http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/jtravis/understandingthedifferencebetweenisnull.asp

Try IS NULL rather than = NULL unless you want to SET ANSI_NULLS OFF

• you insert the null value in datetime data field , it insert the 1900-01-01 00:00:000 value it not insert the null in this field.

• you insert the null value in datetime data field , it insert the 1900-01-01 00:00:000 value it not insert the null in this field.

This is not correct! However, SQL Server exhibits this behaviour:

use tempdb

create table #t

(

c1 datetime null

)

insert into #t values(null)

insert into #t values(0)

insert into #t values('')

select * from #t

drop table #t

c1                                                    

------------------------------------------------------

NULL

1900-01-01 00:00:00.000

1900-01-01 00:00:00.000

(3 row(s) affected)

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• First off thank you everyone for the responses.  David, thanks for the link to the article. That was a great help.  The procedure returned exactly the results I was looking for once I used IS NULL in the IF statement.  And Frank yes I have notice that behavior in sql server as well when I tried to enter ' ' for a datetime value....I thought it was strange.  Anyway, thank you for the help.

Dinesh

• You can avoid this...

IF (@FromDate = NULL)

SET @FromDate = '1/1/1900'

... by doing this... (just a bit faster, I think)

SET @FromDate = ISNULL(@FromDate,'1/1/1900')

Of course, if you defaulted the date fields to zero (as Frank's example implies), the date returned will be the 1st of January 1900 with no extra work at all.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply