Help with delete procedure

• Hi,

I have a delete procedure that has to check a dependent table (t2) for records before deleting from the main table (t1). If there is records the procedure has to pass a value back syaing that there is a record.

The common column between t1 and t2 is say iCode

How can code this in my procedure?

• Rama (11/14/2007)

Hi,

I have a delete procedure that has to check a dependent table (t2) for records before deleting from the main table (t1). If there is records the procedure has to pass a value back syaing that there is a record.

The common column between t1 and t2 is say iCode

How can code this in my procedure?

to simply not delete the values, use a delete statement that prevents it.

create procedure sample (@val int)

AS

begin

delete from t1 where iCode = @val and @val not in(select icode from t2)

end

--to actually raise an error:

create procedure sample (@val int)

AS

begin

declare @DBNAME varchar(30)

set @DBNAME =db_name()

if exists (select icode from t2 where icode=@val)

RAISERROR

(N'The t2 table has dependant information for value: %d, and cannot be deleted from database %s.',

16, -- Severity.

1, -- State.

@val , -- First substitution argument.

@DBNAME); -- Second substitution argument.

delete from t1 where iCode = @val and @val not in(select icode from t2)

end

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• 🙂

Thanks !!

• Isn't that just reengineering a foreign key constraint? Wouldn't the built-in version do just as well?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply