Help with Expired Merge Replciation in SQL 2005

• Hi All,

I am in a bit of a predicament and need some help! I have a client based in Sydney that has 8 Sales laptops setup with SQL Server Express that Synchronise back to a main SQL 2005 server. They are all setup for Merge Synchronisation. The product database is largish at about 1 GB in size on each laptop. I received a call today from the two sales guys based in Brisbane saying that when they are trying to synchronise, they are getting an error message stating that the Subscription to publication XX has expired or does not exist.

I have looked into the setup of the synchronisation and found that the subscription expiry was set at 14 days. The two sales guys have now mentioned that apparently this hasn’t been working for 5 – 6 weeks! So – I have a problem. I tried to resynchronise the replication from within SQL manager on the laptops but I am getting the exact same error message. When I look at the Publisher SQL Database – it lists the sales guys laptops as active subscriptions.

How can I get these subscriptions back up and going again? Do I have to remove & re add the replication manually? The time it would take the re download the db over their wireless cards would be incredibly long so I really want to try to avoid that at all costs. I can only assume that if these two guys ones aren’t working, then it is highly like that other sales guys ones aren’t working either. It seems that they stopped working when the IT manager at the client removed the user that the SQL subscribers used. It has been re-added but appears to have caused this chaos. Well, that’s the only thing I can think of as up until then it had all been working well.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Catherine Eibner

Kindest Regards,

Catherine Eibner
    cybner.com.au

• sometimes you get quick answers here, sometimes you don't.

You are obviously stuck... and nobody has responded.  Replication isn't trivial, and 2005 replication is so new, and different, that it's hard (or embarassing) to make guesses at questions like this.

your problem is very interesting, and I hope you will post what your eventual resolution was... This could certainly happen to any of us.

Of course, in the future we're not going to let those subscriptions expire... but, then again, you had another possible culprit too... that pesky managers at the client site.  You can't fire him, can you?  (just kidding).

12:12 AM... it's been a LONG friday for you. Hope you're doing okay  and...

Have a great weekend!!!  I'm heading out to have a beer for you.

David

Thank-you,
    David Russell
    Any Cloud, Any Database, Oracle since 1982

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply