Help with INSERT & LIKE Query

• Hi All!

Our company is starting to move into the idea of SMS'ing clients, in order to do this we need to have a set field [Mobile] with compatible phone numbers in this column.

Currently the structure of the table that we need to use have two Columns [Phone 1] & [Phone 2]

I need to copy contents of these two fields [Phone 1] & [Phone 2] into a new field [Mobile] within the same table. The issue is that BOTH [Phone 1] and [Phone 2] are mixed with different phone numbers - landlines and mobile numbers - the key identifier for a mobile number is that they begin with '04'

so my logic is that we would need something along the lines of:

SELECT ..

FROM [Members]

WHERE [Phone 1] LIKE N '04%' AND [Phone 2] LIKE N '04%' ... INSERT (*) INTO [mobile]

I know the syntax is all wrong as it should be a nested INSERT INTO - How can i reword this, as i know INSERT INTO needs the specific values and there are thousands of values making the whole process pointless.. Is there a way of doing this with another function - ie COPY..

Am i making sense..

Appreciate any help here!!

Thanks guys!! 😀

• Can you give an example of phone1 and phone2 and the desired result?

Wild guesses:

update members

set [mobile]=phone1 + 'separator' + phone2

where ...

update members

set mobile=firstmatch

from members

inner join

(

select memberid,

CASE PHONE1 like ... THEN Phone1

CASE PHONE2 like ... Then Phone2

ELSE NULL

END AS Firstmatch

from members

where phone1 like ... and phone2 like ...

) preferredphone

on members.memberid=preferredphone.memberid

• I had a similar experience with telephone number selection, using the “LIKE” statement didn’t work very well. I actually filled up all available disk space on the server because MSDB grew, needless to say I wasn’t the most popular guy in out company that day.

Also use the “OR” operator, because a mobile number may exist in Phone1 doesn’t mean it won’t in Phone2.

Try using “SUBSTRING”:

UPDATE

Members

SET

[mobile]=phone1 + 'separator' + phone2

WHERE

(SUBSTRING([Phone 1],2) = ‘04’ OR

SUBSTRING([Phone 2],2) = ‘04’ )AND

(Remaining Criteria)

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply