help with my query

• my current query looks like this:

SELECT   RIC,COUNT(*) as myCount,

SUM(CASE WHEN compliant75pctRule = 'T' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) AS Compliant

FROM      erehab_data

GROUP BY  RIC

ORDER BY RIC

we want the results to contain a row for each RIC containing the RIC, the total # of records with that RIC and the total number or records containing that RIC where the Compliant75pctRule = T

this part works well.

but now i am being asked to throw another field into the mix.  there is also a LOS field with contains an integer value 1-10.  in addition to the query above i need to return 2 more fields:

1) the total of the integer values from the LOS field from records where the value of compliant75pctRULE is either T OR F

2) the the total of the integer values from the LOS field from records where the value of compliant75pctRULE is T

any ideas?

• >>the total of the integer values from the LOS field

What datatype is the LOS column, and what does it typically contain ? What does "integer value" mean ?

Is it a char/varchar that may contain alpha characters ? If so, you'll need to use IsNumeric() function in a Case ... When

Is it a numeric type, where you want to ignore non-whole numbers ? If so you'll need to Cast() to an int, then Cast() back to the numeric and compare to the original value to see if the portion to the right of a decimal point was removed.

• Try this:

SELECT RIC,COUNT(*) as myCount,

SUM(CASE WHEN compliant75pctRule = 'T'         THEN   1 ELSE 0 END) AS [Compliant],

SUM(CASE WHEN compliant75pctRule IN ('T', 'F') THEN LOS ELSE 0 END) AS [SumOfLOS_WithTorF],

SUM(CASE WHEN compliant75pctRule = 'T'         THEN LOS ELSE 0 END) AS [SumOfLOS_WithT_Only],

FROM   erehab_data

GROUP BY RIC

ORDER BY RIC

• I was just wondering, can compliant75pctRule contain NULL?

Because if it is a mandatory NOT NULL then presumably all the rows will be either T or F, so the CASE statement when compliant75pctRule in ('T','F') will always return LOS.

David

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply