Help With REPLACE Function

• Hello All,

I'm having a heck of a time figuring this one out. I have a text field that I'm storing the html for web pages. Some tags were entered incorrectly and I need to replace some characters with an underscore. In every block of text that begins with <a href="# and ends with </a>, I have to replace each instance of %20 with an underscore.

For example, if I have: <a href="#Employee%20Manual">Employee Manual</a>

I need it to read: <a href="#Employee_Manual">Employee Manual</a>

Does anyone have an idea of how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

Ruprecht

• Ruprecht (2/2/2010)

Hello All,

I'm having a heck of a time figuring this one out. I have a text field that I'm storing the html for web pages. Some tags were entered incorrectly and I need to replace some characters with an underscore. In every block of text that begins with <a href="# and ends with </a>, I have to replace each instance of %20 with an underscore.

For example, if I have: <a href="#Employee%20Manual">Employee Manual</a>

I need it to read: <a href="#Employee_Manual">Employee Manual</a>

Does anyone have an idea of how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

Ruprecht

Is this HTML stored in a table in SQL Server database? It was little unclear from your post. If it is,

then this is how you will use replace function in the SQL statment.

REPLACE(<yourfieldname>,'%20','_')

• Yes, the html is stored in a SQL 2005 database in a text column. My problem is, I can't use the REPLACE function the way you describe because the string is never the same. I have to parse the text and find strings that begin with <a href="# and end with </a>. I can only replace the %20 occurrences that meet this criteria because %20 shows up hundreds of times elsewhere.

• If you store that string in a column why just not do:

UPDATE my_table SET my_html_column = REPLACE(my_html_column,'%20','_')

WHERE my_html_column LIKE '<a href="#%</a>'

% character means any string that starts with <a href="# and ends with </a>

• I don't simply store the tag in the text column, I store entire web pages. I need to sift through 5,000 lines of text to replace %20 with an underscore every time it's contained in a line that begins with <a href="# and ends with </a>. I can't replace every instance of %20, just the ones between the tags I just mentioned.

Is this just not possible or am I not explaining my situation well enough?

• Ruprecht I'm halfway there from a sinlge command solution, but i wanted to post an immedite fix right away; if this is a one-time solution, this would give you everything you need so you could create a simple REPLACe command to run to fix all the links;

you didn't provide any example data, so i adapted a different example.

basically, i'm using a tally table to find ever "DesiredString" between two delimiters, namely{a href="} and {">}

this tally example shos that the desired string might occur multiple times in the string. for example, my DesiredString returns values like :

#Employee%20Manual

#Another%20Example

#Employee%20Manual

#ANonQualifyingLink

--produces final results like

UPDATE #Inventory_Trans SET Description = REPLACE(Description,'#Another%20Example','#Another_Example')

UPDATE #Inventory_Trans SET Description = REPLACE(Description,'#Employee%20Manual','#Employee_Manual')

I'm using the results to build a suite of REPLACE Statements dynamically for anything that contained '%20' explicitly between the htmltag delimiters i selected

try this on a test table, and see if it does what you want:

Create table #Inventory_Trans (OtherId int,Description varchar(max) )

insert into #Inventory_Trans SELECT 1,'Transfer to location S034R6/MAIN RCVR ID 55310-1 <a href="#Employee%20Manual">Employee Manual</a>

Transfer to location E/MACHINE <a href="#Employee%20Manual">Employee Manual</a>

SHOP RCVR ID 55334-1<a href="#Another%20Example">Another 20Example</a><a href="#ANonQualifyingLink">Non Qualifying Link</a>

Transfer to <a href="#ANonQualifyingLink">Non Qualifying Link</a>location F/MACHINE <a href="#Employee%20Manual">Employee Manual</a>

SHOP RCVR ID 55329-1<a href="#Another%20Example">Another 20Example</a>'

UNION ALL SELECT 2,'Transfer to location <a href="#Employee%20Manual">Employee Manual</a>

S034R6/MAIN RCVR ID 77310-1<a href="#Another%20Example">Another 20Example</a>

Transfer <a href="#ANonQualifyingLink">Non Qualifying Link</a>to location E/MACHINE <a href="#Employee%20Manual">Employee Manual</a>

SHOP RCVR ID 77334-1<a href="#Another%20Example">Another 20Example</a>

Transfer to location E/MACHINE SHOP RCVR ID 6544-1

Transfer to location <a href="#ANonQualifyingLink">Non Qualifying Link</a>E/MACHINE SHOP RCVR <a href="#Employee%20Manual">Employee Manual</a>

ID 77378-1<a href="#Another%20Example">Another 20Example</a>

Transfer to <a href="#Employee%20Manual">Employee Manual</a><a href="#ANonQualifyingLink">Non Qualifying Link</a>

location E/MACHINE SHOP RCVR ID 77334-9

Transfer to location F/MACHINE <a href="#ANonQualifyingLink">Non Qualifying Link</a>SHOP RCVR <a href="#Employee%20Manual">Employee Manual</a>

ID 77329-1<a href="#Another%20Example">Another 20Example</a>'

--now get the ID's using a tally table

declare

@pre varchar(10),

@post varchar(10),

@pr int,

@po int,

@st int

set @pre = 'a href="'

set @post = '">'

set @pr = len(@pre)

set @po = len(@post)

set @st = 1

;WITH tally (N) as

(SELECT TOP 10000 row_number() OVER (ORDER BY sc1.id)

FROM Master.dbo.SysColumns sc1

CROSS JOIN Master.dbo.SysColumns sc2)

SELECT top 30

T1.N,

T2.*,

SUBSTRING( T2.Description,

( CASE T1.N WHEN 1 THEN 1 ELSE T1.N + @pr END ),

( CASE CHARINDEX( @post, T2.Description, T1.N + @pr ) WHEN 0 THEN LEN( T2.Description ) - T1.N + @pr

ELSE CHARINDEX( @post, T2.Description, T1.N + @pr ) - ( T1.N + @pr ) END ) ) AS DesiredString ,

Description as Description2

Into #Results --capture into an intemediary table

FROM Tally T1

CROSS APPLY #Inventory_Trans T2

WHERE N <= LEN( T2.Description )

AND SUBSTRING( T2.Description, T1.N, @pr ) = @pre

drop table #Inventory_Trans

SELECT * from #Results

select distinct 'UPDATE #Inventory_Trans SET Description = REPLACE(Description,''' + DesiredString + ''',REPLACE(DesiredString ,'%20','_')) '

from #Results

WHERE DesiredString LIKE '%!%20%' ESCAPE '!'

--drop table #Results

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell, you sir, are a genius. Your solution worked perfectly. I can't thank you enough. Sorry I didn't include an example table and data, I'll be sure to remember next time.

• Rup you might want to check for other iterations based on html differences; for examples spaces before/after the equals sign just to be sure;

i'm glad this worked for you.

--original:

set @pre = 'a href="'

set @post = '">'

--maybe:

set @pre = 'a href= "' --or 'a href ="' or 'a href = "'

set @post = '">' -- or '" >'

also you removed the limitation for TOP 30 right? when i tested it on a big table, i didn't need a million rows of results...but you'll need em all, so take that out.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Yep, I removed the TOP 30 limitation and I had to make a few minor changes to the script that generates the UPDATE statements, but other than that it worked like a charm. I checked and all of the tags were formed the same way, so I didn't have to worry about oddly placed spaces.

Thanks again!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply