Hide SQL Instance

• I have been testing the hide instance feature in SQL 2008.

If I choose this option, it will hide the instance right after I bounce the service, but I will check a few hours later and it is no longer hidden.

Any ideas? I enable TCP/IP protocols, change the default port and disable the browser service.

• How are you checking for it?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• sqlcmd -L

or the browse for more in management studio.

• Just as a side note, I have loaded a brand new box. Installed all windows updates and running SQL 2008 SP3. I didn't change anything from the default install. Choose to hide the instance and the same issue. It went away for a while, but now I can see it again.

• Between the time it was hidden and the time it wasn't, what had you done in SSMS? At anytime did you access the hidden instance?

• Lynn Pettis (5/14/2012)

Between the time it was hidden and the time it wasn't, what had you done in SSMS? At anytime did you access the hidden instance?

yes, because the hide only hides 'new' conenctions.

• Answer to lynn's question.

After I made the change I didn't access the server at all when I was checking.

• mcliffordDBA (5/14/2012)

sqlcmd -L

or the browse for more in management studio.

Is this from the same server that the hidden SQL Instance is on, or another one?

And, what protocols does your SQL Instance have enabled?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• I am running the commands from my workstation.

I have two tests going on and all instances are the default instance.

1. Development (which matches my production):

Enable TCP/IP Only, Change the default port and disable browser service.

2. Test server.

I took all sql server install defaults and change hide instance to yes.

• I am revoking the permission 'VIEW ANY DATABASE' from the role PUBLIC. I wouldn't think this is a necessary change, but may not be a bad one as well.

• On my test server I added another instance called TEST. so I have the default instance and the TEST instance. I have set the test instance to hide and I have not seen it appear on the network for the last 3 hours.

Any ideas why the default instance won't hide?

• Because the default instance uses port 1433. This is the default when installing SQL Server using all defaults. I haven't tried installing the default instance to use a different port.

• Even if I change the default port the default instance still won't hide.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply