High Availability Architecture

• Hi Everyone,

We are embarking upon a SQL Server consolidation project. I have been appointed fairly recently at a company that has struggled to keep SQL DBA's (mainly due to conflicts between development and sysadmin teams) and the proliferation of unmanaged SQL Servers has become an issue, to say the least 😉

We have identified > 80 instances, although I believe we may rantionalise 20% of this.

My idea is to create 2 4 node clusters in 2 locations. Each node is x64, 16GB, 8 cores, storage is EMC CX3-80 SAN. This setup will be more than adequate to stack our priority SQL instances and also to consolidate a large number of other instances.

So there's the background, what I am looking for is information regarding clustering software. I have only ever created SQL 2000 2 node active/passive clusters and while I found MS Clustering stable it wasn't exactly feature rich, particularly interested in policy based failover. So I have been looking at 3rd party software for the clustering as well. So here are my questions.....at last 😉

Has anyone used the following, and what are your general impressions, pros\cons of each solution?

MS Clustering

Veritas Cluster Server

PolyServe

Plus has anyone used anything else?

Thanks for your time

Chris

• MS clustering is better in 2005, but it's still fairly simple in terms of what/why you failover.

I've seen polyserve demo'd and it looked very, very cool. It allows multiple failover, so you could set up basically 8 nodes and it would manage failover. I'd definitely talk to them about their possibilities and price.

• Currently working with Veritas Cluster supporting SQL Server 2005 and it provides a fairly robust clustering solution.

Thanks,

Phillip Cox

• Sanbolic Melio has an App Cluster capability that is a great Polserve replacement (now that Polyserve has been EOL'd). More info at http://www.sanbolic.com

San-Man

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply