High Availability for a Merge Replication subscriber

• I was wondering how to implement HA for a merge replication subscriber.

Given that:

* mirroring is not an option (by desing)

* clustering still has the storage as a single point of failure

... what else could be a resonable option?

Thanks for your help and opinions.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• If you won't mind novice’s advise... http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151224.aspx

• Thanks for the link, Dev.

Unfortunately that page describes how to set up log shipping on the publisher, but I'm looking for HA on the subscriber.

I haven't tried log shipping, but I don't expect it to be any different from mirroring as far as replication is concerned.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Please correct me if I am wrong, isn’t merge replication publishers & subscribers interchangeable and both servers can play both roles (primary & secondary).

May I know why you are not considering Mirroring at first place?

• Gianluca Sartori (4/26/2012)

Why? You can have two servers using mirroring and have the publisher use a DNS alias for the subscriber name. Change the IP on the alias in the event of failure. I know names are a bit finicky for the publisher but I dont believe this is necessarily a problem for the subscribers

Gianluca Sartori (4/26/2012)

Only in the traditional sense. You can install a SQL 2008 cluster without a SAN using a thirdy party disk mirroring tool or SAN replication similar to deploying a geo-cluster. So this could work.

http://clusteringformeremortals.com/2009/10/07/step-by-step-configuring-a-2-node-multi-site-cluster-on-windows-server-2008-r2-%E2%80%93-part-3/[/url]

Alternatives? Why not have two merge subscribers with the same data on each. Other than logshipping you've already mentioned all HA options.

• Gianluca Sartori (4/26/2012)

I was wondering how to implement HA for a merge replication subscriber.

Given that:

I am not sure if I understood your requirement correctly. Please elaborate if you don't mind.

TA.

Regards,
    SQLisAwe5oMe.

• Dev (4/26/2012)

Please correct me if I am wrong, isn’t merge replication publishers & subscribers interchangeable and both servers can play both roles (primary & secondary).

May I know why you are not considering Mirroring at first place?

Yes, but replication is not HA. I could replicate the subscriber to another subscriber, but that would break the propagation of data if the first subscriber has issues.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• MysteryJimbo (4/27/2012)

Why? You can have two servers using mirroring and have the publisher use a DNS alias for the subscriber name. Change the IP on the alias in the event of failure. I know names are a bit finicky for the publisher but I dont believe this is necessarily a problem for the subscribers

Good idea. I will give it a try.

Only in the traditional sense.

Agreed. But that doesn't convince my customer. I will have to find something else.

Why not have two merge subscribers with the same data on each.

That was my first idea, but bandwidth is very low and I have to preserve it.

Other than logshipping you've already mentioned all HA options.

:hehe::hehe: Quite true!

AlwaysOn is the only option I have not tried, but that would also mean upgrading to 2012.

Thanks for your suggestions!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• SQLCrazyCertified (4/27/2012)

I was wondering how to implement HA for a merge replication subscriber.

Given that:

I am not sure if I understood your requirement correctly. Please elaborate if you don't mind.

TA.

Sure! What exactly is unclear to you?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Several comments here:

1. You cannot use DNS names with replication. Replication requires you use the actual server name.

2. Merge replication subscribers and publishers are not interchangeable. Data is merged bi-directional, but the publisher is the master in the relationship.

3. The SQLCAT (SQL Customer Advisory Team) team wrote a good white paper on mirroring a replication subscriber. Failover is not supported for subscribers, but the paper details how you can manually recover the mirror and quickly set it up as a new replication subscriber using intialize from LSN. You could also do it using initialize from backup. Go to http://www.sqlcat.com and search their scalability tag for the white paper.

4. Clustering is the best option for a subscriber. You can get over the pitfall of having a single point of failure by using SAN replication to create a geo-cluster.

5. You're correct. Log shippign would have the same limitations as mirroring for a replication subscriber.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Thank you Robert,

I guess I will stick to clustering, then.

I found that whitepaper and I'm in the process of reading it. It's a bit of manual work, but could be worth a try.

Thanks again,

Gianluca

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply