HIGH CPU activity last 4 days!!!

• Hi I searched for a similar problem but didn't get any info relating to my problem.

Pentium 3 1.26GHz Dual CPU's 4 GIG RAM

Data and Log on separate drives and installation of SQL 2005.

Log is 2GIG Data is 4.5GIG

At peak times CPU's are maxed out 100%

Average disk idle time is above 95% for all 3 drives

Processor Queue length average is 11

Table that gets queried the most has 8.2 million rows

Average user connection 55

Transaction/sec on Tempdb is 2.14

Transaction/sec on our DB is 1.6 Only user DB on the server and it is on transactional replication to another server where we run our reports from.

buffer cache hit ratio average is 99

average wait time in SQL locks is 0

available memory in MBytes is 301

average pages/sec memory is 120

bytes total/sec on network interface is 5996

PF usage is 3.5GIG

PF size initial is 4092MB and max size is 4096MB

What can I look at further?

DB indexes gets reordered everynight and updates statistics as well.

MCITP: Database Administrator 2005
    MCTS SQL Server 2008
    MCP SQL 2012/2014
    MCSA SQL Server 2012/2014
    MCSE Data Management and Analytics

• I rebooted the server and it's still the same

sqlservr.exe kills the CPU's!!!

MCTS SQL Server 2008
    MCP SQL 2012/2014

• Hey there,

It's very difficult to guess based on the information provided, but:

1. If you trace the server looking for queries using excessive CPU, does anything stand out?

2. Do you see lots of parallelism - especially CXPACKET waits in activity monitor?

Cheers,

/Paul

• Just as a quick check, run sp_who2 to see what's happening on the server.

If you really can't figure stuff out from the suggestions so far, I'd look into checking on the waits and queues. Follow this white paper from Microsoft. That will tell you what's causing things to slow down. It's usually a method for tuning queries, but it should work for the server as well.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• On top of these sugggestions, I would like to add.

If many worker threads are at Runnable state it means that there is a bottleneck on CPU. Use this query to identify them:

SELECT COUNT(*) AS workers_waiting_for_cpu, t2.Scheduler_id

FROM sys.dm_os_workers AS t1, sys.dm_os_schedulers AS t2

WHERE t1.state = 'RUNNABLE' AND

t1.scheduler_address = t2.scheduler_address AND

t2.scheduler_id < 255

GROUP BY t2.scheduler_id

From Kalen Delaneys, I haven't tested it yet but could be useful.

it could because of some misbehaving queries. You need to identify them and then tune them.

• 2cams (4/3/2009)

I rebooted the server and it's still the same

sqlservr.exe kills the CPU's!!!

Hi, how u measure this counters can you please advise me, will be very helpful. you measured it when you experienced slow performance for some time. how much time u measured for.

• What changed 4 days ago? This kind of thing doesn't just happen, something changed.

What you're probably going to have to do is find the worst performing queries and tune them. There's a series running at Simple Talk on this. First part here[/url], second part will be up on Monday.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • did you say Pentium 3's? cell phones have more power these days and nehalem CPU based servers are cheap

• Hi guys, I'm going through the tips 1 by 1 but on friday we increased the Page swop file on the server from 4gig to 8gig as the 4Gig was smaller than the recomended size. Alas we still got the same issue :crazy:

CXPacket wait type 4 of them max with highest wait time of 6015

And yes Pentium 3's Dual CPU Ancient CPU's

Total RAM ==> 3898884

Available ==> 250680

System Cache 319796

I'm monitoring peak again now and trying to find long running queries causing the havock now ...

Thanx for the tips ... i'm rusted a little EISH

I took those measurements @ slow performance times!!! 5 - 10min duration ...

Only thing I changed before all this havock was remove alerts on SQL that I added to mail me when the log and data files were below 15%.

I'm also currently running a new trace file on our QAS server but of the LIVE DB. I have old trace files but i'm inserting into a Table and run queries off the table to check whats potting ... thanx for the white paper Grant and ur article Gail

MCTS SQL Server 2008
    MCP SQL 2012/2014

• JUST AN UPDATE ...

I create a NEW TRACE FILE when the server was idling @ 100% activity :hehe:

Ran the tuning advisor and it recomended 2 non clustered indexes. It was on the 2 most queried tables and applied them. The activity dropped substantially after the applied indexes. I'm going to monitor and check what I can do with the procedures that query those tables to try and tweak them a little.

JUST ANOTHER PROBLEM. The IT guy @ our datacenter removed the drive that had the log file on it of the distibution database. I can't remove it now. So my replication is on FREEZE mode till I remove the distribution DB. I created another distribution DB but the publisher is also stuff.

I'll have a sqizz on the forum as to remove the whole previous replication setup and setup a new 1.

MCTS SQL Server 2008
    MCP SQL 2012/2014

• Good luck with that, 2cams! :blink:

• EISH :ermm: i'm going through this @ the moment ... http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188411(SQL.90).aspx

hoping it gets me to remove the stuffed replication setup

MCTS SQL Server 2008
    MCP SQL 2012/2014

• 2cams (4/6/2009)

JUST AN UPDATE ...

I create a NEW TRACE FILE when the server was idling @ 100% activity :hehe:

Ran the tuning advisor and it recomended 2 non clustered indexes. It was on the 2 most queried tables and applied them. The activity dropped substantially after the applied indexes. I'm going to monitor and check what I can do with the procedures that query those tables to try and tweak them a little.

There's a two-part article over at Simple Talk on finding problematic queries and fixing them. Might be worth a read.

Part 1 - http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-1/

Part 2 - http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-2/

Be careful with Tuning advisor. It's not always right and it often suggests far more than is required. Test out any of its recommendation before you put them on your production server and make sure they really do help the workload. I have heard of cases where tuning advisor's recommendations made things worse

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• 2cams (4/6/2009)

JUST ANOTHER PROBLEM. The IT guy @ our datacenter removed the drive that had the log file on it of the distibution database. I can't remove it now. So my replication is on FREEZE mode till I remove the distribution DB. I created another distribution DB but the publisher is also stuff.

I'll have a sqizz on the forum as to remove the whole previous replication setup and setup a new 1.

Got a backup of distribution? If you do, it should be as simple as restoring it to new drives. Maybe also speak to the IT guy and see if he can replace the drive. It's possible that it's still intact.

I would also suggest a chat with management, yours or his. He broke your production system by modifying the servers without checking. That's not on, and you shouldn't take the blame for it.

Gail Shaw

• Hi Gail, I was desperate on friday and gave him the go ahead to remove the drive ASAP so it's my own fault coz of desperation and a WELL LESSON LEARNT. I have a backup of the distribution DB.

I'm going to TRY and restore it and hold my thumbs!!!

I managed to remove the replication db objects using sp_removedbreplication and dropped the distribution db using sp_dropdistributiondb.

the publisher is still giving me the error. I hope the backup works!!!

*********UPDATE**********

I restored the Distribution DB DANKIE TOG!!!!!

*********ANOTHER UPDATE**********

After restoring the Distribution DB I used the SSMS to remove the publisher and then I had to drop the distributiondb again and drop the distributor and now I'm REPLICATION-Less :w00t:

STRESS RELIEVED!!! :hehe:

MCTS SQL Server 2008
    MCP SQL 2012/2014

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply