High Memory Used in active MS SQL Clustering Server

• I am occuring following situation in MS SQL Cluster Server. Below are the details:

Server Configuration:

• 2-node SQL Server cluster server running Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise and SQL Server 2008 R2.

• 12G RAM in total. And maximum memory allocated to SQL Server is 8G.

Issue Description:

SQL Server cluster active node uses 100% of allocated memory (8G), but the plan cache only shown less than 250M usage.

Phenomenon:

Memory utilization on Active SQL Server Cluster Node:

Please refer to attachment "Memory utilization on Active SQL Server Cluster Node1" and "Memory utilization on Active SQL Server Cluster Node2"

Memory utilization on standby SQL Server Cluster Node:

Please refer to attachment "Memory utilization on standby SQL Server Cluster Node"

SQL Server Maximum Memory Setting (8G):

Please refer to attachment "SQL Server Maximum Memory Setting (8G)"

To determine what plans are in the cache:

SELECT TOP 6 LEFT([name], 20) as [name], LEFT([type], 20) as [type],

[single_pages_kb] + [multi_pages_kb] AS cache_kb, [entries_count]

FROM sys.dm_os_memory_cache_counters

ORDER BY single_pages_kb + multi_pages_kb DESC

Result: Only <250M are used.

Please refer to attachment "To determine what plans are in the cache"

Anyone know what happen to the Ms SQL server and how to solve the problem? Thanks.

• SQL Server buffer pool is typically the largest memory consumer, have you accounted for this?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I would be worried if my SQL didn't use 100% of available memory

what is the point in buying the memory if you don't use it?

• This redundancy server also installed Ms SQL Reporting services. Before I did not limit the memory size for Ms SQL, it go up to almost 98% or 99% which make the reporting genration slow. So I limit the Ms SQL memory limit to 8GB. But it still use all 8GB and keep going without going down. This only happened after a day running the server.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply