High volume emails and Database Mail

• Hi, I am about ready to roll out a new application that utilizes Database Mail, and my release has just been smacked down by our company's DBA team who says they have a problem supporting it. Big fight going on while this get escalated since we can't move our delivery date. . . but in the meantime, are they justified worrying about supporting Database Mail? I pumped out 5,000 emails in about 5 minutes during development several times and had zero issue. I am just trying to get it into QA at the moment. I think they don't know enough about it and are worried it'll show if there is ever a problem.

Anyone ever heard anything or had any issues? It isn't like this is SQL Mail and the nightmare that must have caused.

• Anyone?

• What it the DBA's objection?

What is the volume of email that you are planning to send?

Is it fairly simple email, or does it have a lot of attachments?

Database Mail seems to work very well. It is really just sending SMTP messages, so it's fairly simple.

It they won't let you do this with Database Mail, you can send SMTP email from an application server fairly easily.

• They are really not clear with the objection. They say that if SQL Server goes down, so does Database Mail, and my response is that if SQL Server goes down, I can't get to any of my data that goes into those emails, so its a moot point, let alone our website going down too.

I've been personally using it in dev and have beens ending out emails for 4 months with no issues. Sometimes just 3-5 emails a day, sometimes 5,000. No problems except in dealing with undeliverable emails, which I found a work around. We aren't send attachments, and the content is created in my stored procs.

They want us to use some shareware app called BMail, but I can't specify CC recipients, just To, but I have to put specific recipients in each field which is all generated dynamically by my procs.

We have a meeting later today involving the big-wigs. Will keep you all updated lol.

• It sounds like they don't like Database Mail for some reason. While I'm not sure it's a high volume robust solution for mailing, that doesn't mean it won't work for your load.

You have a good point about the db server going down. I haven't seen anyone say that they can lose Database Mail and not lose SQL Server as well.

• It could create some server overhead but I am not sure it will be critical although cleanup jobs must be set up. On the other hand I do prefer the Idea of sending emails from the App server instead.

* Noel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply