host name resolution

• where/how does the host name resolution occurr in EM? Our SQL 2000 EM does not report 'ALL' correct names. Some are correct , some are from long gone ID's. Thanks 

• Do you mean the entries showing from the drop down when registering a new server?  If you are seeing old entries here, you may have old or outdated Aliases set up in the Client Configuration Utility.  To check this, go to C:\Windows\System32 and open the clicfg.exe.  Go to the Alias tab and remove any outdated server information listed there.  Hope this helps.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Sorry. wording was misconstrued. Actually, in Enterprise Manager, 'server', management, current activity, process info, hosts column. The resolution of the 'client' name is not occurring on all processes. Using TCP/IP, some of the client names showing are long gone users. I believe this is read from the PC name? Not sure where SQL get this information. DNS?  thanks again

• Interesting.  I always assumed it used DNS but can't find any documentation to support that.  Do these connections come back after you restart the server?  Does pinging the host from a command prompt resolve? 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• sq

• The same name's show up in the host column after a reboot. The MAC address resolves OK. AD schema is being updated correctly and does not show any of these old user id's /PC names. Pings resolve, and reverse resolve. User ODBC connection uses a generic userid & pwsd.  I cannot find any documentation that definitely states where SQL get these 'host' names from.

• It might be that your tcp\ip connections become orphaned or the KeepAliveInterval(OS level) is not set.

Check the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q137983

• these are active connections from valid workstations, according to the MAC address. the host name is not reporting right in EM. The hostname is supposed to be the computer name. Old computer names are in the host column for numerous MAC address's. Some are repeated numerous times. AD schema is correct. DNS is correct.

• Check your local host file...

• Check your local host file...

• using WINS. no local host file

• DNS/WINS etc are not the source of the HOSTNAME you are seeing.

This value is supplied as part of the connection string used by an application connecting to SQL.  This value can be anything that the application wants.  It usually is the name of the host that is connecting but this is up to the developer of the application to determine. 

I have a developer you created a connection string that had the name of his workstation in it.  Whoever uses that application seems to have connected from that developer's workstation because it has been hard coded (when you check with sp_who etc).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply