How access to a database in a remote server

• Dear friends,

I have an Internet VPN between two office.

For security reasons, i have a computer firewall in each endpoint of the router of the Internet VPN each one with two network card: one pointing to the Internet VPN and the other to the internal network (LAN).

In each office i have a database server running SQL Server 2000.

How i can do to connect the computers from one office to the database of the other office?

I am not using replication, i want to use remote access to work "on line" with windows applications.

Best regards,

Romulo Hernandez

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Here are a couple of metheds:

1. You can connect to your desktop in your primary office, then access to the SQL Server as what you usually do.

2. If you are an O.S. admin user, you can use Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Client to access the SQL Server host.

3. You may also register the SQL Server from SQL Server client tool from your secondary office.

Good luck!

Yichang

• One simple approach is to create an alias in the SQL Server client networks using tcp/ip

ALIAS:SERVER1

HOST:10.0.0.10

PORT:1433

The in EM under the security tab create a linked server using the alias as the server for MS SQL Server connection of course providing user/passowrd for connection. When expanding the linked server you should see objects from the logins default db.

Then you can query the remote server

Select * From SERVER1.DB.OWNER.OBJECT

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply